Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th December 2010, 07:16 PM   #1
habeeb24

Default Difference Between SEO And SEM

Hi,

Can any one clearly explain what is the difference between SEO and SEM??..

how ever i know about seo and would love to know about SEM.

habeeb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th December 2010, 02:01 AM   #2
naturalbeauty

SEM is everything that can be done to utilize the technology of search engines with the goal of promoting a web site and increasing its traffic, its "stickiness," and, in the case of sites that promote a business (or are a business), increase profit while SEO is the method of creating and tweaking a website and formulating a competent plan to make it more detectable and visible in the lists of organic search engine results with the main objective of creating higher rate of returns on investment for business continuity, growth, and development through your website.

Old 17th December 2010, 02:07 AM   #3
seoforward

In addition SEO derives from SEM and is a part of optimisation of your website thus if you was to devise a strategy for SEM SEO would be included. Thus in addition to organic search SEM would include PPC & other paid for advertising.

seoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 05:39 AM   #4
Timothy Scotch

NaturalBeuty's post is pretty accurate I think.

I just think of SEM as the equivalent of regular marketing and SEO the equivalent of sales in real world. That is, marketing being the research part and sales being implementation of your marketing.

Problem with that is that everyone argues about exactly what marketing and sales is too

Old 19th December 2010, 04:26 PM   #5
seattleseoSOS

What is generally defined:

SEM:
using the following to increase your website exposure:
-search engine optimization
-paid placement
-contextual advertising
-paid inclusion

SEO:
-using all the 200+ factors or so to bump up your rankings naturally

However, I've heard a number of people also refer SEM to as simply the paid stuff. I think it's funny, but sometimes it depends on who you are talking to

seattleseoSOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 06:30 AM   #6
alexandrabrian

SEM is a search engine marketing, which encompassing broad phrase that includes SEO as well as paid search activities such as Google AdWords purchases.

SEO, on the other hand, is simply a subset of SEM.so SEO is to increase the volume of traffic to website with the use of organic and paid searches.

alexandrabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 02:06 AM   #7
jamesparker100

SEO is a part of SEM. SEM has two types of marketing technique, free one is SEO and paid one is PPC. while SEO is a free method to promote your website over internet. it is very helpful to generate maximum revenue from your website.

Old 15th February 2011, 06:55 AM   #8
joomlads07

I see SEM as a rather broad term. It's everything that can be done to utilize the technology of search engines with the goal of promoting a web site and increasing its traffic, its "stickiness," and, in the case of sites that promote a business (or are a business), increase profits. SEO, therefore, would be a subset of SEM.

The purpose of SEO is to make the site better for both search engines and users, you may find that it will suffice on its own. In any case, the advantages of SEO over the other aspects of SEM make it clear that, even if you are going to spend additional money on advertising and paid placement, SEO must be your first step in promoting your site.

joomlads07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 02:12 AM   #9
saurabh97817

I have had many ask me what the difference between Search Engine Marketing (SEM) and Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is, so I thought I might throw a couple of definitions out there.

I am going to start with SEO, as it is a part of SEM. SEO is the act of optimising the HTML and other content of your website for relevant, targeted key phrases in order to attain higher natural listings than competing websites. SEO provides a cheaper long term solution for increased qualified traffic and generates customer inquiries that ultimately convert to sales.

saurabh97817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 04:49 AM   #10
ricky028

Thank you guys for sharing your views. It sounds that there is a consensus that SEO is a part of SEM. We can say that with SEO we achieve an organic or natural flow of traffic to our websites that is not bought or paid for like we do when we pay for advertising.