Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th May 2009, 01:07 PM   #1
viper_one
VIP Contributor

Default Squidoo Advantages?

recently, I seen an advertisement by a big time player --- claiming that he would create squidoo lens for you @ $67. etc.

(orginal articles in each lens)

anyways, he went on to claim that by using Squidoo, you are more likely to hit higher in the search engine results than average. (or something like that)

I don't know whether we covered this recently or if I am asking in the right category here on the forum.

Is this true? Is there an advantage of Squidoo in SE results?

Old 13th May 2009, 12:21 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

AFAIK, a link from Squidoo is just a link like any other. The value you get from the link depends on the value of the linking page itself, and the number of outgoing links on that page. To my knowledge, there's no special advantage to a link from Squidoo that you wouldn't get from any other similar link on a similar page on another domain.

If you can build a popular Squidoo page, you might get some direct traffic from it. For instance, if you can manage to get your lens listed in the "top lenses" list, you might be able to piggy-back a bit extra off the traffic Squidoo itself receives, thanks to the visibility of your lens compared with others.

Keep in mind, though, you'd only get a fraction of their traffic going to your lens, and only a fraction of that would click through to your actual site, so I personally wouldn't count on it as a huge traffic-builder.

But that has nothing to do with rankings. Honestly, I really don't believe there's anything special about Squidoo lens links that would magically bring higher rankings simply because the links are from a page on the Squidoo domain. Sounds like a sales pitch claim to me...

--Torka

Old 13th May 2009, 11:57 PM   #3
smith29

Hi,

Search engines love this socializing site because there is always fresh content. When you have a lens, you will have a good chance of getting on the front page of Google for many keywords. A Squidoo lens tends to get faster placement in the Google search engine also.

smith29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 02:58 AM   #4
janicejan

I can't really say that it can help build links, but if you made a pretty popular lens then it can really help in generating traffic for your website.

janicejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 06:46 AM   #5
sahota

Default Squidoo is not bad

I have some squidoo lenses. I think I will not pay anyone to make a lens. If you have all information about the topic you want to make lens on then it will tkae you around 30 minutes to create a lens. Obviously first timer need to first get familiar with squidoo.

I have used squidoo to get some traffic to my website, I would simply treat it as any other blog. But thing with blog is that you are restricted to post only about topics related to blog. And on Squidoo you can simply create a separate lens for all different topics. Consider it same a blog but covering just one particular topic instead of regular posts about different things on blog. I am using squidoo for long tail. I always create squidoo lens about anything I come across...e.g. say I went on holiday to a particular town or city. I make lens about resort and places I visited. And then at end you can also advertise your business with link to website. I generally tend to put 2-3 links to my website from a Squidoo lens.

And I think if you make good(Not GREAT) squidoo lens you will get good traffic to lens. I also managed to make profit of 50 last year by making 2 sales through traffic which came from my squidoo lens. And this lens is not even excellent its ranking around 1000 mark in shopping category. All traffic is via long tail through google.

Anyway thats just my story , other here might like or hate squidoo I am not sure.

sahota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2009, 09:45 AM   #6
eww

In my opinion, I think it is up for debate as to any ranking advantage via Squidoo. Depends on the article written, the topic, and the niche. While I personally have not used Squidoo, I do use Hubpages (similar). The articles I write contain useful information on a specific niche that people seek as well as keywords targeting my website. The combination of the two aid in getting the article well ranked within the niche. My site gets decent traffic via the article as they are both on the same topic.

Old 14th May 2009, 02:17 PM   #7
ChristineG

Send a message via Skype™ to ChristineG

This info is really useful--thanks everyone. I had made lenses in the past and was just thinking about making some new ones.

Old 14th May 2009, 05:01 PM   #8
spencer

I don't think that this will be unique content, and I agree that a link from squidoo is just a link.

spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 08:19 AM   #9
john86

Squidoo encourages you to interlink all of your lenses to get more traffic to them. As a blogger you can get a BIG advantage here by having lots of lenses pointing to your blog giving you several incoming links bringing in loads of traffic to your main blog. The extra traffic that you pull in will convert to higher click throughs on your adsense and/or boost your affiliate sales.

john86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2009, 11:42 PM   #10
jamesray50

Default What is Squidoo?

I have heard about this and the word lens with it and thought I needed videos or pictures to use this. Can someone clarify for this less than tech savy person? Thanks.

jamesray50 is offline   Reply With Quote