Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th April 2012, 01:16 AM   #1
SimplyCritical

Default Blogger Or Wordpress

Im looking at setting up a blog. I've been looking at Wordpress and Blogger. Which do you think is best and why?

Old 12th April 2012, 01:07 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Honestly? I think the best is an installation of Wordpress hosted on your own domain. Why? Because that way you have total control over the look (instead of having to choose from a limited set of pre-installed themes). You have total control over the functionality (instead of having to stick to a pre-installed set of widgets). You have total control over the content (instead of having to abide by somebody else's Terms of Service). You don't have to worry about Blogger or Wordpress.com coming along and disabling your account because they decided your blog wasn't something they wanted on their service. (Check the terms of service. They both reserve the right to disable accounts and/or delete blogs without notice, for any reason.)

And, best of all, it's all under your control. Because it's on your own domain, if you later decide to switch to another blog platform, you can do so without having to start from scratch building subscribers and links.

If for whatever reason hosting your blog yourself isn't an option, I don't know that anybody else can tell you between Blogger and Wordpress which would be better for YOU.

They can only give you their opinion of which one they like better for THEM. Keep in mind, what's important to them may or may not be what's important to YOU. What's easy for them to use may or may not be easy for YOU.

Both are fine platforms. Both offer advantages and disadvantages. Both offer free accounts, so set up an account with each, try them out, see which one YOU like better -- that is, which one better meets your needs.

--Torka

Old 12th April 2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Turtle

I'm only familiar with wordpress, and it works just fine. As Torka said, the more important question is whether you want to start a blog on their website, or whether you want to register your own domain and install wordpress on it. If you're serious, I would get your own domain and do it that way.
Let us know what you decide to do.

Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 10:56 PM   #4
SEO_Philly

Post -reply

Hi!

Torka and Turtle have pretty much covered all the needed answers for your question. I just want to add more reasons why I personally prefer Wordpress over Blogger. Some of the reasons are:
  • customization at its optimum
  • browser compatibility (can be opened with just any browser)
  • more user-friendly plug-ins
  • generic templates (can do anything with it, unlike blogger, where the format is pretty fixed

I wonder if there's more of it. I'd be glad to know as well.

SEO_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 03:57 AM   #5
bizmaverick

Blogging has long way been existing and I, being a writer suggests the use of WordPress primarily because it increases the likelihood of being exposed in the modern world of Search engine Optimization. In addition, WordPress has its spam resisting capacity which is very friendly and advantageous to the user.

bizmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 02:19 PM   #6
mscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
If you're serious, I would get your own domain and do it that way.
If you host your blog on their hosted service - you won't really get any SEO "juice"...

And should you later decide to move to your own domain, you are basically starting from scratch.

There are all kinds of reputable hosting companies that have the WordPress install ready to go at the click of a few buttons.

Take the plunge and do your own domain!

mscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 07:45 PM   #7
MichaelAllen

Easy answer and IMO the best answer.

Both ..

Set yourself up a blog on your own hosting using Wordpress ( or whatever you feel is best for you) Then set one up on blogger, write different articles and link to the other and vice-versa. Now some people might have a different opinion about this, but i highly recommend NOT using spun articles for either site. With all of the recent updates and updates to come it has been shown over and over again, shortcuts are a dangerous thing when it comes to Google.

So, with that being said. Having control over your site is better for you and also represents your online business as more professional . But using blogger as another source of traffic cant hurt.

Wish you the best of success

MichaelAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 09:37 AM   #8
ReganP

I agree about the hosting matter. But, deciding between WordPress and Blogger also depends on how you are going to use the blog and what it's for. It also depends on your level of computer savvy.

For most people with at least decent internet and computer savvy, either one will be fine, and people more in the know will appreciate WordPress for its customization features and potential complexity. I have personal blogs on both and, while I prefer WordPress because that's the first blogging service I used and I've found it to be better for implementing a lot of customization, Blogger is definitely easier to use.

It's way easier to actually customize your theme on Blogger, especially if you pick more of a plain theme. You can change the color of pretty much every element of the blog within the dashboard. You can change all of this in WordPress too, but if you don't want to start from scratch it can be hard to significantly modify a preset theme.

Test them both out, start a personal blog or a blog on any random niche topic to test the blogging waters, then decide where you want to put your professional blog.

Old 1st May 2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Dean29

Both of them are really good, but I prefer WordPress because WP give more options for professional users.

Dean29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:33 PM   #10
waynemorrise
VIP Contributor

I should agree with Torka. Free blogging site is really one of the most great way to express your ways and thoughts. But I guess if we're talking about being best, hosted domain is way better than .wordpress or .blogspot and etc.