Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Radio Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th June 2010, 04:37 AM   #1
emarket

Send a message via Yahoo to emarket
Default Facts And Figures About Radio Advertising

Bear in mind the following before you do radio advertising:
Who's Listening?
Over 92 percent of Americans age 12 and up listen to radio each week, creating an audience of over 235 million listeners. Among 12- to 17-year-olds, who are perceived as not listening to the radio, nearly 90 percent listen weekly.
Where Do They Listen?
The majority of radio listening occurs in cars, with 73 percent of adults age 18 and up listening while driving on a typical weekday. The second most popular location for listening is at home. The number of people listening to commercial radio online now includes nearly 20 percent of the people who listen each week.
What Are They Listening To
There are over 10,000 commercial radio stations in the United States. There are more country music stations in America than any other type with over 2,000 outlets. News/talk is second with 1,375 stations.
Who's Advertising
Major brands such as Verizon, Home Depot, Walt Disney and Burger King are among the top 20 largest radio advertisers. The largest advertising categories for radio include retail, automotive, insurance, restaurants and financial institutions.
How Much Do They Spend?
Radio advertising revenue exceeded $19 million in 2008, and over $13 million came from local businesses.

emarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th June 2010, 10:30 AM   #2
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Great info and detail. I have been involved in Radio campaigns and find that they can work for small business... as long as you approach it the right way. When you need to get that 'bang' for your buck, your offer has to be really good. Let me explain.

If I were in the automotive business, I am not sure if I would waste my time on the radio advertising my services... because your market is narrow. People are not going to drive all over for general service. They typically go where it's a little more convenience.

On the other hand, tell people you're giving away $100 bills... the line up will start almost immediately (so people do listen

The point is, you can use radio to generate new leads. Make a great offer... tie it to a free give-away and collect names and numbers. That will work for a lot of different sectors.

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 10:16 AM   #3
PTF

A couple of other things to think about before you splash your bucks (or quids!) on radio advertising...

Firstly, it's pretty poorly targeted. Now, you may get your ads played on a show that appeals to your target audience; but they're listening for music, not ads, and you've no idea if they have a need right now for what you're offering.

Secondly, distractions abound. Those 73% of American adults listening in their cars really shouldn't be scribbling down phone numbers or web addresses. And by the time they get to the end of their journey they've probably been through a dozen sets of lights, got lost and stared at 500 license plates. So they're not going to remember your ad when they get home.

Thirdly, it's fleeting. You get at most 30 seconds to grab your audience, sell them on the benefits of what you're offering, and then hook them in. So what do the radio stations do? They try to convince you to use a stupid jingle. There are more sophisticated ways to get your message over!

I'm not saying it doesn't work. But will it deliver you a reliable return on your investment that's better than you'll get through targeted direct mail, a really hot website, or any of the other alternatives? Hard to say.

Final note. The reason I believe radio advertising is such big business is because naive business owners are seduced by the ego boost of hearing their company name on the radio. It's a little bit exciting and it feels like you're doing something "big". Successful advertising and marketing isn't about making your CEO, owner, manager or anyone else in the company feel warm and fuzzy - it's about making money.