Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th December 2004, 09:02 AM   #1
1LOW8TE

Send a message via AIM to 1LOW8TE
Default Help Starting a New Lawn Care Service

I would like to start a small Lawn Care Service with about 25-50 accounts. Any help would be great. I know I need to market and start buying equipment. Any idea on a cheap way to market. I'm trying to build this without any debt. I will have a starting capitol of around 5000.00....

Thanks

1LOW8TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th December 2004, 10:53 AM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Are you planning to focus on residential to begin with?

Old 4th December 2004, 07:36 PM   #3
bragadocchio
VIP Contributor

Grassroots marketing efforts work for lawncare services, too.

But Robert's question is a good one.

Your efforts are probably going to be different depending upon whether you are interested in residential services, or maintenance and care of commercial properties.

An ad in the yellow pages can be costly, but it might deliver a nice return on your investment if people find you through it.

Were you counting the creation of a logo, business motto, van or truck decorations, letterhead, business cards, etc., in your marketing efforts?

Membership costs in a local "main street association" or chamber of commerce, and the time attending meetings of those organizations to network?

Word of mouth is a nice way to get business, and can be relatively inexpensive.

This link from the Small business Administration covers the basics of a marketing plan. If you go through and write up some answers to the questions they pose there, I think that you'll come up with some good ideas on how to market your business, even on a shoestring budget.

http://www.sba.gov/starting_business...ting/plan.html

Since your objective is to target on finite number of accounts, you probably don't need to broadcast your business to the world. I suspect that if you could find a way to get in front of some prospective customers, you might be able to find some clients quickly.

If you put together some decent business cards and brochures, you might want to start out with joining a local commerce group, and attend some of their gatherings where you can talk to owners of businesses in a comfortable setting.

Old 4th December 2004, 09:19 PM   #4
divshow
VIP Contributor

If you are doing residential, my suggestion is to make some flyers and distribute them door to door in new housing divisions (of course, depending on what type of community you live in).

You may also want to check with some real estate agents and see if they will work with you and put your flyers in welcoming packs that some agents give when closing a home.

Old 4th December 2004, 10:06 PM   #5
mapbooks4u
VIP Contributor

Hi! Don' t know if my own experience will help, but here goes.......

I actually did lawncare for 15 years and found the best way to advertise was by word of mouth. I made up business cards and passed those out to several local realtors. I also posted flyers in the local donut store and hardware store.

Lowe' s and Home Depot sometimes have a bulletin board near the entry or exit that you can post a small ad and some business cards on too.

Also, let other lawn care services know that you are available to fill in for them if needed. I had several other services call me to do jobs they couldn' t cover or didn' t want to do.

The biggest thing that helped me as a woman to grow my customer base was by letting people know that I did not "mow and blow". I did not just mow lawns, I "detailed yards" which allowed me to charge a higher fee as well.

Make sure you understand that it is hard work, physically demanding, and you really have to like it or it will not feel rewarding. Over the years I saw many start up and quit within a month or two. During the winter you might want to advertise as snow removal or the like if you receive the kind of weather that you can' t mow year round.

Old 5th December 2004, 08:42 AM   #6
1LOW8TE

I plan on starting out with residential properties first. Then commercial maybe, depends on how well business is. I have a couple of connections as far as realtors goes. I think its a great idea to hand out Business cards and flyers.

Another question: Would you incorporate or set it up as a sole owner?

Thanks

Old 6th December 2004, 12:10 AM   #7
bragadocchio
VIP Contributor

Default Sole Proprietorship or Corporation

There are good reasons for either, and it really depends on what may be best for you.

This nolo press article looks at some of the reasons for one or the other:

Choosing the Best Ownership Structure for Your Business

There's a lot of other information on the nolo site (look at the navigation bar over on the left) about Sole Proprietorships and Corporations.

Old 8th December 2004, 08:08 AM   #8
1LOW8TE

Good Website.. I think LLC would be a good start. The same asset protection of a Corp, but different Tax Laws.

Old 15th February 2013, 10:01 PM   #9
johncrider

Default contact me I can help

Please feel free to email me with any questions on your landscape business. I have been in the business for years. 3rd company actually, merged one, sold one, and now on my 3rd. E-mail me and I can help. [email protected]. I have contemplated starting a consulting business, but in the meantime, I will just help.

johncrider is offline   Reply With Quote