Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th June 2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Tom and Bill

Default Business name questions...

How important is having a name that goes with the type of business you have?

I ask this question because we are in the process of getting our business off the ground and have concerns that maybe a name may limit you or not even describe your business.

We all know of business' like LINNENS AND THINGS, WEIGHT WATCHERS, BURGER KING, LENSCRAFTERS.....those names pretty much tell you what the business does. But then there are business' out there that have a name like NAMCO (pool and patio supplies), DENNY'S ( diner ), Mc DONALDS (fast food)......Understand what I mean?

What brought this up was a mailing that I received today promoting a new local business that does lawn care. the name of the business was HOPBROOK. No addtional info other than the advertising on the flyer.

Does the business name really make a difference? I'm not saying that if you own a used car lot that you would call it Tom's Lawnmowers...but does a business with an obscure name effect your business?

Tom and Bill

Tom and Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th June 2006, 05:29 AM   #2
1LOW8TE

Send a message via AIM to 1LOW8TE

My personal opinion yes. People want to have a feel for the service without all of the detail. The business name makes a difference. For example my business is called SDNC Lawn & Landscape. If I just SDNC people would not have any idea what I was talking about. I think there needs to be some sort of hint of what service you are offering. Now if this is retail, then I think there are more options as far as naming goes. Hope this helps.

1LOW8TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 09:07 AM   #3
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

Branding also makes a difference. When you think of fast food - what pops into your mind: McDonald's, Burger King, Jack N the Box, etc?

If you are first starting out, marketing that brand is expensive and something that a lot of people cannot afford do to. So having a name that sort of describes your business is usually a good starting point.

Old 10th June 2006, 09:25 AM   #4
mktgbiz

I agree with the above suggestions!

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 09:34 AM   #5
image Man

I have 3D illustration and Animation added under my logo not many know what a CG Effect is. You need a name that is easy to remember and spell.

image Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 10:46 AM   #6
cmww33

I think the name is very important for a new business that is starting with low funds. People are in a hurry so you need something that will stick in their minds when they decide they need your service. I have spent alot of time trying to decide the best name for my business. (I am bordering on procrastination lol.)

Christine

cmww33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 08:06 PM   #7
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

The only thing to be careful of when choosing a descriptive name for a business is when that name is too specific to the initial services or products the business offers... and then you decide to expand or change your offerings.

For instance, there was a gas station in my small town that also offered auto servicing on the side. A few months back, they totally stopped selling gasoline and changed over completely to an auto repair shop. If their business name had been "Your Gas Station", they would either have had to change their name and start branding all over again, or spend a lot of time explaning to people why they're called a gas station but don't actually sell gas. (Fortunately for them, their business name had included the phrase "service station" instead, so they were fine as-is.)

In the city I grew up in, there's a local chain of restaurants called "Lizard's Thicket." There's nothing specifically in that name to indicate the type of food they serve, or even that it is a restaurant -- but the name sure does get your attention! I guess they could have called it "Home Style Food" or "Home-Cooking Restaurant" but neither of those would have been nearly as memorable.

--Torka