Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th February 2008, 04:28 AM   #1
Crimson Fox

Default Something I've Noticed About Back Links

I've recently noticed that people are coming to my site by searching for a word that doesn't appear in my site at all.

The word does appear within a link to my site from a newly indexed website (so the importance of the site 'should be' fairly low, no rank, no back links to it etc etc)

I knew that this could happen and that the back link text was relevant.

But I didn't think that one link could cause a search engine to reference me under that keyword.

The other weird thing is that the link said 'mentor' and the search result was 'mentoring'. So it's not even an exact match.

Obviously, this keyword is a nice one to be picking up, but, imagine the possibilities of how this could work in a negative fashion.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th February 2008, 09:17 AM   #2
justgowithit

You've heard of Google Bombing, right?

I just participated in a similar thread on another board about this topic and how the scope of content no longer (and hasn't for some time) includes only that content on the target domain.

Google Analytics makes it particularly easy and accurate to decipher your off-site content targeting.

Last edited by justgowithit; 20th February 2008 at 09:20 AM.
justgowithit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

I agree that google bombing represents the same sort of scenario. When the exact text is in the link text. But what about when the exact text is not included as in mentor vs mentoring.

My own experience though is google bombing was a direct relation between the keyword in link text. With Crimson's scenario it takes thing a bit further and includes words associated together mentor/mentoring. CF, I have noticed recently at uptick in referrals for misspelled keywords that I am sure are not in the content or link text. I think this is along your same line - text nor link text need to be directly inlcuded.

This is referred to as semantics if you want to research it further.

It seems to me that semantics in these scenarios is applied to link text versus the text on the page.

Old 20th February 2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Matt McGee

Sometime last year, Google put in a tweak to the algorithm which aimed to stop Googlebombing - but they focused on negative words, not positives. So, while George Bush stopped ranking for "miserable failure", Stephen Colbert could still rank for "greatest living american."

I believe did a hand job on the SERPs to remove Colbert from that latter query, and other changes may have been made since then, too.

Old 21st February 2008, 09:01 AM   #5
justgowithit

Quote:
Stephen Colbert could still rank for "greatest living american."
LOL - I did not know about that one. He's still #3.

Logan, I understand what you're saying about anchor text vs general content.

Quote:
It seems to me that semantics in these scenarios is applied to link text versus the text on the page
Or an expanded implied value of the anchor text is deduced/inferred from surrounding content.

Old 21st February 2008, 12:31 PM   #6
ericajones80

Matt...Google did manually edit out Colbert in the SERPs....I just read an article on it a little while ago. Unfortunately I forget the site.

ericajones80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 02:41 AM   #7
fairdoes
VIP Contributor

Quote:
ve recently noticed that people are coming to my site by searching for a word that doesn't appear in my site at all.
Was the referral from Google? They seem to give totally new content a 'chance' in search results. IMO it then disappears if the response was not good (I.E. visitors view one page, then leave).

I agree totally about webmaster tools being immense help - the detail web tools provides about how your site appears, and the linking sites etc., is very revealing.

fairdoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 08:06 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

Quote:
Or an expanded implied value of the anchor text is deduced/inferred from surrounding content.
Good point, yes it could be beyond the link text and included surrounding text

Quote:
if the response was not good (I.E. visitors view one page, then leave).
I don't believe that applies. imo, a visitor who views one page may have found exactly what they were looking for. I don't think the search engines infer things like this, and if so it is much more involved.

Old 25th February 2008, 10:51 AM   #9
rick22

Well that kinda thing happen to my site also , google gives result on similar keywords...

rick22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2010, 11:31 AM   #10
sometechieguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick22 View Post
Well that kinda thing happen to my site also , google gives result on similar keywords...
I'm finding the same thing. I didn't know about the negative verses positive keywords so that's interesting. Long live Stephen Colbert!

sometechieguy is offline   Reply With Quote