Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Viral Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th August 2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Aqua Cop

Default Looking For Some Free/cheap Marketing Ideas For Our Company.

Hi, I'm new to the forum so I'm learning my way about. I was hoping I could pick some of your brains for some good marketing ideas for our business. We are a service oriented company that provides many energy efficient services. Some of the services we provide are insulation removal, blown insulation, radiant barrier, solar powered attic fans, weather stripping and caulking, water purification systems and much more. The owner of the company is a retired police officer which is where we got our name Aqua Cops from. (He originally had a water system business on the side while he was still a police officer) I'm hoping to find some interesting marketing ideas that use the police image in them but I've been having trouble mixing that image with the services we provide. Does anyone have any good ideas to help out?

Aqua Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st September 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
carmen11smith

I think that a great local resource for free advertising, especially in your case, where you are providing a service is Craiglist. Also if you have a website you can link it to your craigslist post. If you do not already have a website a great free alternative is any social networking site. What is great about social networking sites is that once you connect with people, if you post frequently and keep your page up to date, you stay fresh in the client's mind. Just a few ideas.

carmen11smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 02:44 PM   #3
eswinteractive

I don't have any ideas for that but... I agree with the Craigslist suggestion as an added area to post outside of here. I have a small business website company and I posted my service to Craigslist and received business in addition to a barter agreement for services. It's worth a shot because it's free also.

Good luck!
Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen11smith View Post
I think that a great local resource for free advertising, especially in your case, where you are providing a service is Craiglist. Also if you have a website you can link it to your craigslist post. If you do not already have a website a great free alternative is any social networking site. What is great about social networking sites is that once you connect with people, if you post frequently and keep your page up to date, you stay fresh in the client's mind. Just a few ideas.

eswinteractive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 04:33 PM   #4
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi Aqua Cop! Welcome!

There are a couple of basic marketing tricks that most small business owners get 'stuck' on and will not use. I don't know why, because they work.

First of all, I do understand your services, but what I don't know (and haven't researched) is what YOUR customer is looking for. Maybe I can do this with examples.

If I were a Chiropractor, I wouldn't advertise 'Chiropractor - Company Name' as the headline. I would use something like 'BACK PAIN?' or 'Attention All Back Pain Sufferers!'. That way, you're attracting NOTHING but the people who are interested in that service. Follow??

Any advertising you do must attract your target audience. Advertising that starts with your company name doesn't do that. Advertising that screams out a problem that your best customer would have... does!

You can also go an with points that exacerbate the problem. Things like:
-Can't make a move without back pain?
-Can't tie your own shoes?
-Tired of not being able to tend your garden?

These are just points that DRIVE the problem home and make your target more anxious because you remind them of all the things they can't do.

Then... you offer something FREE. Yes... FREE! In the example above, it could be a free consultation; free treatment; anything to connect with the customer.

Now, in your case, it's a little different. Like I said, I don't know the problems your customers have. Do you? If so, that is your LEAD IN on any advertising.

Then, you need to get them to call. Book a FREE consultation... something along those lines. I don't know what else you can give away, but you need to figure that out.

It's the same as those sample stands you see in grocery stores. That process costs a fortune for the company. But why do they do it? Because it WORKS!

You can do the same thing, but you need to know YOUR CUSTOMER'S PAIN (no pun intended). What problem is your customer having that you can solve?

Then work out some sort of freebie. Put a limited time offer on it... but just be prepared that if it's a free consultation or whatever... you are prepared to EXPLAIN (I didn't say sell) YOUR SERVICES and how they can help.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 10:25 PM   #5
TightTimes

Try picking up a book called "Guerrilla Marketing." Lots of cost effective ways of marketing for small business in that book.

TightTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 12:45 PM   #6
trishan09

I think if you contact a marketing agency in your area it will be more useful and to get more clients i recommend doing SEO on your website in your area so that you will get client specific from your region.

trishan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 06:16 AM   #7
daveb1
VIP Contributor

Another great way to promote local businesses for free is to make sure to get the company listed in all the free online business directories you can (i.e. Yelp, Manta, Yellow Pages, Google Places, Bing Local etc.). Also I am not sure of the rules in your area but I would think the police station would have a break room or general news bulletin. Maybe you can post some advertising on the bulletin for free. You should have your boss try to put together a small marketing budget because then you would have so many more options and the advertising would probably lead to getting the investment back anyways.

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 10:06 PM   #8
localbizexpress

Default Newbie to Newbie

Hey Aqua Cop,
You might want to do some networking with Real Estate Broker and Real Estate sales people. After all your services are geared toward home repair. You would benefit in pitching your services to new homeowners. By hooking up with the right people at your local real estate networking group you could get a lot of leads.

PS. Secret Tip #2. Hook up with some Bankers and real estate lawyers in your local area! You get the picture.

localbizexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2012, 06:00 AM   #9
ruhi091

Send a message via Yahoo to ruhi091
Arrow Online Yellow pages/Print advertising will do a lot!

If you are new in the market then you got to try this. Looking for the competitors and their strategies you can make out many competitors using yellow pages advertising. The effort that can make in the marketing on your product will be best as many customers are using yellow pages for the reference. though print yellow pages got old marketing style the best deal is to make your company registered in to online yellow pages.

ruhi091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 06:58 AM   #10
BoBo_184

police of energy inefficiency, where energy inefficiencies are the criminals

BoBo_184 is offline   Reply With Quote