Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th June 2011, 04:45 PM   #1
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default 18,000 Plus Facebook Fans - How?

Let me share what I have learned as I have built: http://www.facebook.com/JohnnyLewsSports
up to 18,000 fans.

First, I can't believe how fast this happened! I started on March 29th 2011. I remember being crazy over our 500th fan. Little did I know the growth would be exponential after that.

Second, If your not using Social Media and our an internet business, don't wait any longer! 1/2 Americans are going onto facebook - facebook's model is to keep their users on their site. That will mean less Google, Yahoo, Bing searching. Plus, what other media lets you interact with your customer?

Third, Don't hide behind a logo. My top competitor, one that is 10x bigger than me has 5k fans. And when they post, hardly anyone interacts. Check out my facebook profile picture: http://www.facebook.com/johnnylewssports it's a real person interacting with the fans. So, put a a face to your profile.

Fourth, Social Media is a long term commitment - Google Adwords, Banner advertising may get the visitor to your site, and either they buy or they dont and they are gone. Facebook gets you to engage with your customers everyday, as often as they let you, they may not buy today, but you have the opportunity tomorrow to get your brand in front of them.

Fifth - Selling is secondary, I created a video for the fans introducing myself and I told them who I was etc...but I also told them that "I dont want to sell them anything" but "I wanted them to want to buy from me"...totally different mindset.

Sixth - Its about them, not YOU. So get them to talk (and they will) respond to every post! Thats what the whole SM thing is about.

Good LUCK to you....gotta go check out what they are saying at http://www.facebook.com/johnnylewssports

Old 24th June 2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Woot, good work Johnny! Thank you for keeping us posted, its priceless to many. Keep on truckin'

Old 25th June 2011, 02:59 AM   #3
eyt2011

Thanks John for sharing.

Would like to know the "secret" of this apply to my real estate fan page.

Karen

eyt2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 10:35 AM   #4
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Thanks LOGAN! (Where is the "ike" button?)...

I would have "liked" your comment (OMG - the Facebook thing has become a little compulsive!).

Kidding of course! - The future is in Social Media and this has given the small business a huge opportunity! The big companies (mega companies) will resist the SM as a fad or wont be able to figure out how to put a personal face to a facebook page. There is your chance to swoop in and take a niche and run with it.

I quickly found this out on http://www.facebook.com/johnnylewssports as I would post a Cowboys post a Steelers post and/or a Yankees post...bad idea! I had literally created facebook fan fights! These are like oil & water. So I learned to temper my posts, and I also found out who my largest base was - Yankees fans. So I catered to their needs.

This proves the old addage is true - "YOU Cant Be Everything To Everyone!"

I like the Yankees, so I have devoted the MLB season to talking Yankees. Check out the # of comments and likes on some posts...it works.

But it only works because I treat the fans - like friends - never like customers...

Old 28th June 2011, 05:52 AM   #5
seo-guy

Select from numerous the new Facebook-Social-Plugins and put them on your site or blog. The Fan-Box widget is the “Like Box” and it works fine to show your current-fan-page stream and a collection of fans. I would advise adding a little bit above the box cheering visitors to your website/blog to get on the “Like” button.

Old 30th June 2011, 10:23 PM   #6
Johndiv23

Really impressive, i just started on creating my own Fanpage 2 but im stuck with two fans. I like the idea of not using a logo as a profile pic. Thanks for sharing.

Johndiv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 11:36 AM   #7
Rojae Braga

Send a message via Skype™ to Rojae Braga

Smile

Hi Johnny!

These are indeed tips worth doing. I particularly love your idea of treating your fans - like friends - never like customers.

Housing great interactions between members is a good way to help your fans not only discover the brand, but one another, as well. Encourage them to write on your Page and if you have time, respond to their comments. Just like what you've mentioned,
Quote:
Its about them, not YOU
. Make people feel that they are part of something.

In addition, you can also use your Facebook Page to ask your customers for feedback on new products or services you are thinking about rolling out. And of course, make sure you are adding content frequently--preferably at least daily. You want to provide a reason for the Facebook page audience to check in and see what's new.

Hope this helps & thanks for sharing Johhny!

Old 8th July 2011, 04:00 PM   #8
wpsiteguy

Send a message via AIM to wpsiteguy Send a message via Yahoo to wpsiteguy Send a message via Skype™ to wpsiteguy

I guess I have to start creating a fan page for my business/website. Thanks Johny for the tips and hopefully I will get many fans and friends as well.

wpsiteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 01:51 PM   #9
johnnylew
VIP Contributor

Default Rojae!!! You get it...

That is exactly my model...Here is my daily routine. Here is how I have now topped 20,000 fans.

I post at least once a day during the week and maybe once on the weekend.

Although my page was built for people to know who Johnny Lew's Sports is and to get them to become customers I have evolved from that. Social Media will never be a place to just post a bunch of advertisements. Thankfully I understood that from the start.

I have found who my audience is; NY Yankees Fans, great because I am from NY and the Yankees are my baseball team. I dont try to cater to every MLB team. First Lesson learned: Trying to cater to everyone and you end up not catering to anyone. (Thankfully there are an estimate 14 million Yankees Fans)

I cater to Yankees Fans. I give them what they want; News, Facts and interesting content about the Yankees AND I ALWAYS ASK THEM to add their own content. If I post 6 times a week 5 of them will be content about the Yankees or highlight a Fan of the Week.

Is it working? YES How do you know? it is common now that I get 300+ likes on some content, with 50+ comments. My main competitor gets 4 - 10 likes and even less comments. My main competitor treats the fans like customers, like a potential sale & the fans act accordingly. In fact the fans on that page ask for Free Stuff or to be picked to win their contest.

I involve the Fans on every post, and I make every effort to respond to every comment - although on a few of the last posts where 200+ comments came in I just couldnt keep up.

I THANK THEM for being fans - who ever hear of Johnny Lew's Sports? They didnt I am not a Walmart or JC Penny...so for them to have liked and stay a fan I appreciate that & tell them as such!

I am real! I dont have my profile as a logo, my profile is ME. Isnt that what Social Media is suppossed to be? real people.

Finally, one out of every 6 posts will be a plug for a product or to give a special offer. Is this working? Today I posted a link for Yankees towels - I couldnt believe that within an hour I had over 29 likes and 10 comments! That was very heart warming that people took that message and shared it.

I even had one customer who was upset post on that very link over a misunderstanding - I resolved it and that same customer placed a $70.00 order!!!! That never would have happened before - that same customer even posted what a wonderful company we were, See: http://www.facebook.com/johnnylewssports

You never know who will "fan" you! - I told you we cater to the Yankees, well a DeDe Murcer Moffett became a fan. Yankees fans will know the name "Murcer" as in Bobby Murcer - all star Yankee. She is a national singing artist and radio show host. I never wanted anything but friendship from her and she is putting my business on her radio show next week, all because I did what any friend would do and posted her story. You meet amazing people everyday - treasure it!

Old 19th July 2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Rojae Braga

Send a message via Skype™ to Rojae Braga

Hi Johnny!

What you have shared is something every Facebook user should know nowadays, especially that most Pages right now are purely created for advertisement purposes. People should realize what "Social Media" should be.
I'm sure they'll learn a lot from you.

By the way, I've taken time to visit your page. I'd be glad if you could visit and like ours too.

Thanks & best of luck to your business!