Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th April 2009, 06:10 PM   #1
timandren

Default Your Top 10 Worst Twitter Tips

You need another Twitter article like you need a hole in your head. There are millions of articles about what to do on Twitter and how to get it done. Some of them include:

How to Grow Your Follower Numbers to Over 10,000 in a Week

50 Ways to Use Twitter

100 Twitter Tools to Help You Achieve All Your Goals

Now I'm sure there is some valid information in these articles and the many others out there, but they are sorely lacking in one area and that is what not to do or how not to act.

Twitter is social. It's community-driven. So we shouldn't look to the opinion of one person about what Twitter is or how it should work. The community rules and we should decide our rules of engagement. It's at the nature of what makes Twitter special to begin with.

In order for Twitter to run smoothly and for each of us to make it a better place, not just for ourselves, but the community at large we need to establish what people shouldn't do, just as much as what they should. With the sheer volume of articles about what to do, this post will focus on what not to do. Look at my list below as a beginning topic of discussion. I want to hear your thoughts.

Your Top 10 Worst Twitter Tips

•Collect as many followers as possible and then just market yourself.
•Only pump out content that is going to benefit you.
•Crank out link after link. Conversation? Why bother?
•Assume everyone in the world wants your free e-book so promote the hell out it.
•If you're a business, forget that you finally have a chance to connect with your customer. Sell, sell, sell.
•Don't listen. There is no value in conversation.
•Automatically Direct Message people. They'll never know the difference.
•Don't bother replying to anyone's replies.
•Only tweet your daily events, no matter how boring and uneventful they actually are. Really, your yummy sandwich experience is important.
•Bait and switch. Who cares? You'll never meet the person.

Much of this can be summed up in terms of misinterpretation. Twitter's brand icon is a sweet, little blue bird, not a vulture.

So my questions to you are:

What advice would you give to a newcomer about what not to do?
What is the worst advice someone could give?

Add your responses to the comments and I'll compile them into a post.

timandren is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th April 2009, 03:29 AM   #2
geyser

Those tips are so naive I can't imagine how to call twitter as a social networking site if you can't have cyber friends, I mean replying is one way of getting trust and creating bonds with other people.. by the way twitter isn't only just for marketing.

geyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 07:36 AM   #3
Deborah R

Great post, I personally agree with your tips. For me, it's not about how many followers I have, but building relationships. I don't "auto" anything. I read people's profile before I decide to follow them. Everyone has a different reason for using Twitter, some even have multiple accounts; business and personal. What works for me is attraction rather than promotion. For newcomers to Twitter, I would advise to not to tweet something you wouldn't want to see. Just be yourself and show your personality. You can promote your product or service without "selling". Twitter is not a contest of the most followers. Just my thoughts!

Deborah R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 07:49 AM   #4
Tom Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah R View Post
I read people's profile before I decide to follow them. Everyone has a different reason for using Twitter, some even have multiple accounts; business and personal. What works for me is attraction rather than promotion. For newcomers to Twitter, I would advise to not to tweet something you wouldn't want to see. Just be yourself and show your personality. You can promote your product or service without "selling". Twitter is not a contest of the most followers. Just my thoughts!
Like Deborah I check out profiles before following.

I do not have enough time to manage multiple accounts so I follow a variety of people for different reasons - some for business and others for the fun of it.

The greatest thing that I have realized since starting in March is that people share lots of incredible information and resources that you can check with just a few clicks.

Tom

Tom Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 11:27 AM   #5
timandren

geyser, did you even read the entry?

Old 9th April 2009, 11:28 AM   #6
timandren

Deborah. Attraction rather than promotion. Couldn't have said it better!

Old 21st April 2009, 05:20 AM   #7
Roof Repair FL

Good informative post. Thanks for sharing information. I don't follow these worst tips.

Roof Repair FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 06:05 AM   #8
Donagh

I think it's important not to get too personal in your tweets. Remember your there for business, not the tell people what a great weekend you had!!

Donagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2009, 06:07 PM   #9
lordspace

I find this one funny: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbH63Ali9U

lordspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 12:35 PM   #10
carlar9

Good Post. Everywhere I look now there is someone telling how to make Twitter work for your business or get thousands of followers.

carlar9 is offline   Reply With Quote