Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd May 2011, 07:00 PM   #1
MKDave

Default Your Thoughts Would Be Appreciated

Hi Folks,
I came on here about 10 months ago as a newbie, got some ideas, went away, changed my sites and have been learning ever since. I have set up 3 sites as an Amazon Associate and as they are free google sites have been trying to work around the limitations. Shortly I will have a small marketing budget, but would appreciate an independent view, and any constructive comments.
http://www.intabuy.co.uk
http://www.intabuy-watches.co.uk
http://www.intabuy-watches.com
Many thanks
Dave

MKDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th May 2011, 10:02 AM   #2
dowson12345
VIP Contributor

You have a very good site, but if to say about the homepage, make it more catching, i mean put some ads or may be banners to attract people.

Old 28th May 2011, 10:49 AM   #3
MKDave

Thanks very much for your comments, I am really aware that my sites have looked amateurish, and as I have had no budget, I have designed and redesigned them. I don't have an artistic bone in my body and have tried to get closer to having a professional looking site that customers will have confidence in, and not a site that looks as if it has been designed by Dave.
I can add other stuff although google sites have quite a lot of limitations.
Are you suggesting ads for individual products, sale items etc?
I have Amazon banners on other pages do i need to have some on the front page?
Do you know of a site that you would consider to be a good example?
I have tried to fit everything to a screen size, I would appreciate your thoughts on whether more content to scroll down to is a good idea?
I haven't added too much for fear of losing what the sites are about, if you are well known with a lot of products etc, you probably cram as much on your front page as possible.
I bet you wish you hadn't commented now!!
Sorry.

Last edited by MKDave; 28th May 2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 1st July 2011, 07:33 AM   #4
3Aces

Send a message via Skype™ to 3Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKDave View Post
Thanks very much for your comments, I am really aware that my sites have looked amateurish, and as I have had no budget, I have designed and redesigned them. I don't have an artistic bone in my body and have tried to get closer to having a professional looking site that customers will have confidence in, and not a site that looks as if it has been designed by Dave.
I can add other stuff although google sites have quite a lot of limitations.
Are you suggesting ads for individual products, sale items etc?
I have Amazon banners on other pages do i need to have some on the front page?
Do you know of a site that you would consider to be a good example?
I have tried to fit everything to a screen size, I would appreciate your thoughts on whether more content to scroll down to is a good idea?
I haven't added too much for fear of losing what the sites are about, if you are well known with a lot of products etc, you probably cram as much on your front page as possible.
I bet you wish you hadn't commented now!!
Sorry.
Okay, I learned something new today - that there is something called Google sites lol. Thanks for that.

Anyways, I would want to ask you if you have any specific reason for not using WP. It's free and you just have to buy a domain... anyways, your site doesn't look top of the line, but you can try and make it look more trustworthy by adding amazon banners there. When you are selling amazon stuff why are you putting up Google ads (or is that mandatory on Google sites?) Anyways, I'd advise sticking to Amazon ads and amazon banners. Choose funky looking banners and add them where you deem appropriate. People trust Amazon and they will realize that they are eventually buying from Amazon and not from you. Do you know that Amazon cookie stays stored for 2 days? So, even if the user did not linger on your site and went to amazon and bought something there even after 10 hours of visiting your site (provided he/she did not click on some other affiliate's link in the meanwhile) you'll get commission on whatever they bought. That's kinda cool, don't you think?

Old 1st July 2011, 01:57 PM   #5
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Here we go, Dave. Please know.. this isn't personal. It's just that 'Mom' will always tell you that everything you do is nice... but she doesn't buy. I am not your Mom... so I may be a little more 'harsh'. But please know... it's not personal. I am only getting to the point.

You are correct. Your sites do not look really professional and I will tell you that alone could be killing sales.

I do NOT agree with others who claim you need banners. Why would you try to distract the visitor with 'screen junk'? KEEP IT CLEAN. Now, I do agree that Amazon has a lot of credibility, so that 'note' should be included in the left column somewhere where it will be site wide, reminding the visitor.

I DO LIKE.. the content on each item. That is good. I ALSO LIKE the fact that you can (so it seems) develop unique page titles, but your page titles are NOT search friendly.

As an example... I looked at this page:
http://www.intabuy.co.uk/A-Selection...s-and-Brooches

The page title is 'Beads and Brooches'. Not very descriptive is it? You have up to 65 characters that will show in Search Results... USE THEM! You include descriptive text like 'Chamilia Style' and 'Slide on Slide Off' in your description. Why not in your title??

Also.. .and again... people will say that meta descriptions don't matter... and I disagree... because I have proof of my articles that have been found in search ONLY BECAUSE OF TERMS IN META DESCRIPTIONS... so go ahead, call me crazy... but your meta description is something that I think you are copying and pasting on all the pages (sorry... didn't check) but you use:

<meta name="Description" content="Intabuy-Jewellery brings you a wide selection of womens jewellery, womens fashion jewellery, womens body jewellery, birthstone jewellery and the means, tools, beads etc to enable you to make your own.&#xD;&#xA;We have rings, bangles, bracelets, chains, necklaces, earrings, and much, much more." />

Make the META DESCRIPTION UNIQUE for that page. You are tossing in all the terms. Make the TITLE relevant to the META DESCRIPTION and that should be RELEVANT To the HEADLINE/PRODUCT NAME... which of course should be relevant to the content.

Sorry.. .but I just answered a bunch of other posts and my fingers are getting tired of typing... see these other posts that will help you:

This one was about website development:
http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=41870

This was about Content:
http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/fo...ad.php?t=41783

Hope this helps! Good luck!

PS: One other issues... and again... I am not trying to pound you... but keep the ads and banners to the MINIMUM... make banners advertising YOUR BEST SELLERS.... and if you want to make money... don't use free websites. People know.

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 02:28 AM   #6
MKDave

Hi 3Aces and BeTheBest. Thanks for the responses, all comments are gratefully received. All self taught so have made loads of mistakes. Got into Google sites through http://www.gbbo.co.uk Getting British Business Online, Free, seemed like a good idea at the time.
Google sites doesn't allow for meta descriptions on each page, took me ages to find that out, the jewellery site has 2 meta descriptions only because there are actually 2 linked sites within the site. The only way on google sites to have meta descriptions on each page is to have a different site for each page, if that makes sent. The meta description you are seeing is on the general spec page.
WP, are you talking about WordPress, sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am, chose Google sites as it was free, sorted out hosting etc all in one go, plus relatively easy to use, know nothing about WP.
Have bought my sites and have started migrating to Freeola for their hosting and management.
If you go on the google sites forums there are a lot of people who are upset by what are seen as basic limitations, but what can you do, it is free.
BeTheBest, you made me laugh, took me a long time to realise the importance of page titles, didn't know about the 65 characters though, that is useful information.
I appreciate all your comments.
Please be as brutal as you like, you will not upset me, I am on here asking for help, I would like to have a good site and hopefully a good business at some stage. If that means changing website package, hosting etc, so be it.
The only thing I ask, if I am doing something wrong, can you be specific about what I can do to change it, its the solutions I don't have.
Thanks again. Dave

Old 7th July 2011, 06:44 PM   #7
MKDave

I am looking at the comments that have been made.
One comment was about having google ads on an Amazon site.
OK, I have found a replacement Amazon widget, however before I change all of the pages on the site could someone have a look and tell me if the text size is acceptable. Amazon doesn't allow it to be changed, and as I am in my fifties, I can just about read the product information with my glasses on.

http://www.intabuy-watches.co.uk/Spe...d-Best-Sellers

Thanks

Old 22nd July 2011, 12:17 AM   #8
Ted GWL

Dave,
I would suggest you look for some other platform to build Amazon affiliate sites on. Either that or look to upgrade your template somehow.

I will be perfectly honest.

When I copied the URL into Firefox and your website started to load the first page, the first thing that popped into my head was

“Whoah! Major spam site.”

Honest to god that is what I thought. I can assure you that other people are thinking the same thing. In fact, I was a little hesitant to offer my opinion on your sites because I do not want to offend anyone. But, that is really how bad my first impression was.

Now, that can work against you and it can actually work for you. Some people will bounce off of your site immediately. I am sure the bounce rate for those sites is super high. But then some people will instead click on one of the watches or other jewellery pictures just to get off of that first page that loads. Because they click on the picture, the Amazon cookie gets planted and you can then earn a commission on anything they buy in the next 24 hours. So, I am willing to bet that whatever sales you are getting right now have a lot to do with people trying to get off your site and accidentally planting the Amazon affiliate cookie into their browser.

Another thing to consider here is the long term viability of this kind of website. That website would be considered a thin affiliate website. There is very little original and useful content. It is mostly just a bunch of affiliate links and duplicate images scraped from Amazon. Plus you have the Adsense. If I didn’t know better I might have thought that your sites were generated using some black hat auto site building script. You are going to have a hard time getting any Google love for that site unless you start adding unique text to the pages and make it more visually appealing.

I suggest you take the skills you have learned with these sites and consider upgrading to a new project with much higher standards. First build a website that offers real value to someone. If people were actually visiting your sites because they thought the sites really helped improve their shopping experience for jewellery, then you would have a sustainable business model. Otherwise you are going to keep struggling no matter what you do. Sites like yours were viable business models some years back. They aren’t so much anymore.

Sorry if I seemed harsh. I am not trying to offend you. I am just telling it like I see it.

All the best to you in all of your business ventures.

Old 23rd July 2011, 11:09 AM   #9
MKDave

Hi Ted GWL.

Interesting - not offended - curious though

I understand that I don't know much about this stuff, so here are my comments.

I admit hadn't looked at the sites using Firefox, so thought ok lets have a look.
Looked the same to me as in Explorer, no flashing messages saying anything about spam, so would be interested in what would set peoples alarms ringing.

I guess the amazon affiliate cookie contains my amazon stuff, but wouldn't get paid without it. There are no hidden links containing the information, it only applies to any product info you click on.

Not sure how changing platforms would change that.

Adsense has been pointed out before and I have started changing to Amazon ads, most of the watch pages are done - they don't have a lot of good ads. Jewellery site hasn't been changed but will shortly.

I do take your point about the type of site, it is what it is - an Amazon affiliate site, makes no secret of that. It may be this is a poor choice of business, do amazon affiliate sites work, not sure, any feedback would be appreciated. Amazon have them which suggests there is some mileage in them.

Alternatively if anyone has any wonderful suggestions as to how I can make money as the original thread says - your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Old 23rd July 2011, 12:21 PM   #10
Ted GWL

Quote:
I understand that I don't know much about this stuff, so here are my comments.

I admit hadn't looked at the sites using Firefox, so thought ok lets have a look.
Looked the same to me as in Explorer, no flashing messages saying anything about spam, so would be interested in what would set peoples alarms ringing.
Dave,
First let me commend you on not being afraid to ask questions to learn. There are a lot of people who visit these forums looking for the answers that you are asking, yet they are afraid to ask because they don’t want to admit how little they know about this stuff.

You are going to accelerate your learning because you aren’t afraid to ask. So keep asking.

In response to your comment:
As your internet browsing experience builds over the years you tend to develop a keen eye for spotting low value websites. Within two seconds of viewing a website for the first time, you will naturally form an impression of the site. Just like in real life when you first meet someone. Instantly your brain is saying “Man she is sexy” or “Wow she got beat with an ugly stick” or “He seems like a respectable guy” or “Wow this guy has a bad hairdo” or something else. Our brains instantly give us feedback based on our previous experiences.

So, what I was saying with your site is that the first impression I got within a couple seconds was “Whoah! This looks spammy.”

I don’t need to read what is on your site to get that impression. It is the overall “big picture” of the way things are laid out on the site that triggered that response in me.

Websites all used to look similar to yours about ten years ago. But, since then, the trustworthy legitimate businesses have figured out how to make them much more appealing to the eye by using colors cleverly, by adding in real life images of people or other objects, by making it all blend together so that it is pleasing to the eye.

Your site is more like

Plain red website on plain pink background
Block of something on left
Block of something in middle
Block of something on right
Header graphic is not sized well
Header graphic is not positioned well
Header conveys no sense of trust whatsoever
Nothing seems to fit together well

Do you see what I mean? It just sticks out at me like “This person doesn’t really care about how their website looks.”

If I get the impression that you don’t care about how it looks, then I am going to assume you don’t care about anything at all, including doing trustworthy business. In other words, the poor layout of the site and the way things are presented, completely destroys my trust in the website and whatever business it is conducting. So that is first and foremost what I thought was bad about it.

Quote:
Adsense has been pointed out before and I have started changing to Amazon ads, most of the watch pages are done - they don't have a lot of good ads. Jewellery site hasn't been changed but will shortly.
As far as the Adsense goes, it doesn’t matter so much that it was Adsense or some other merchant. It’s just that the majority of the page is throwing something commercial at you. Just a little too much to be appealing to the eye. These ads you have changed to look much better. The way it looked with the Adsense was that you had most of the screen full of jewellery and the right hand side full of individual text ads. It just looked tacky. As far as I am concerned, Google Adsense text based ads have no place on a website that is supposedly selling anything. Their image ads are fine, but not the text ones. Seeing Adsense text on an ecommerce site instantly kills all credibiity for the entire website in my opinion. Maybe your target customers see things differently than me.
Quote:
I do take your point about the type of site, it is what it is - an Amazon affiliate site, makes no secret of that. It may be this is a poor choice of business, do amazon affiliate sites work, not sure, any feedback would be appreciated. Amazon have them which suggests there is some mileage in them.

Alternatively if anyone has any wonderful suggestions as to how I can make money as the original thread says - your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Amazon affiliate sites do work and people do make money with them. There are a couple of different approaches that people take.
1) Produce a huge number of sites similar to yours and rely on numbers alone to make it a viable business model. In other words, if your websites are making one dollar per day, you could just produce a hundred of them in various niches and earn a hundred dollars per day combined. This model is quickly becoming a thing of the past though as Google is getting much tougher on these kinds of sites. You will probably need to rely on traffic from sources other than Google. It will be more challenging to get enough traffic from Bing and Yahoo to make it a viable strategy. Social media traffic will not convert into sales for your type of website. Those people are too savvy. They will consider your site too spammy and probably vote it down with whatever social mechanism they have to do so.

2) A different approach you could take as an Amazon affiliate is to focus on creating a website that provides a real benefit to people. Take the watches for example. You could launch a blog style website that uses a decent free theme to make the site somewhat visually appealing. Then you write articles like – Best watches for the guy who wants to attract women like Sean Connery did as James Bond.

Then you choose a handful of high end “James Bond” style watches with their affiliate links to Amazon. Right next to each watch you write a little review of that watch or you write about the different features or you write about what skin complexion it would look best with or you write about what style of clothing it goes best with.

Your goal would be to position yourself in the minds of people that you are some kind of style expert who knows how to make someone look good. It is all about getting people to trust you. To earn that trust you must provide honest value in some way.

When you are providing real value to people, you can get traffic from just about any source and still get that traffic to convert into sales for you.

I am an Amazon affiliate too. But, rather than building a website to just sell amazon products, I instead simply add an Amazon affiliate link to my regular websites (already monetized in other ways) wherever it might be appropriate to do so. For instance, on a blog when I am making a point, I might choose to reference a book that I had previously read about the topic. There would be a good place to put the Amazon affiliate link to a page that sells that specific book.