Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th January 2009, 08:40 AM   #1
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Forget Traffic! Get Your Copy Right!

Having an extensive sales and marketing background, I notice marketing mistakes that most people don't see or are unaware of.

For example, I can spot poor copy a mile away and I see a lot of it, both on and off the Internet.

What's copy? Copy is the words on your website and in your ads - the words used to sell your products and/or services.

Unfortunately, the first thing most marketers do when they get a website is worry about getting traffic to their site. And while traffic is important, in my opinion, they're putting the cart before the horse.

Why? Because you can have all the traffic in the world, but if your copy isn't up to par that traffic is going to go to waste. It's not going to convert into sales.

It's been my experience that successful sites generally have good to adequate copy, while sites that are struggling generally have poor copy, among other problems.

So, if you're getting traffic to your site, but it's not converting into sales, you should consider hiring a professional copywriter to evaluate and re-work your copy.

It might make all the difference in the world to your bottom line!

David Jackson

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:28 AM   #2
tortilla09

As I browse the net, all copies that I read are aiming more on making sales but what I'm looking for is that it must be also informative.

tortilla09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:21 AM   #3
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortilla09 View Post
As I browse the net, all copies that I read are aiming more on making sales but what I'm looking for is that it must be also informative.
While I appreciate your input, I think you misunderstood what this post is about.

Although oddly enough, I agree with what you said about copy needing to be informative.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 22nd January 2009 at 10:40 AM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 01:25 AM   #4
procopywriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
Because you can have all the traffic in the world, but if your copy isn't up to par that traffic is going to go to waste. It's not going to convert into sales.
You're absolutely right about that. Traffic and conversions (which are driven by copy) are two sides of the same coin. The one is useless without the other.

procopywriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 09:55 AM   #5
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by procopywriter View Post
You're absolutely right about that. Traffic and conversions (which are driven by copy) are two sides of the same coin. The one is useless without the other.
I find that's one of the hardest things - to get most marketers to understand that correlation.

David Jackson

Old 15th February 2009, 04:22 PM   #6
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Perhaps layout & general look & feel would factor into it as well - when I come across a website, I generally size it up in a few seconds - if it's too "busy", hard on the eyes, difficult to follow, or generally poorly designed, I'll just move on. If it's a well designed page, with a pleasing format & color scheme, and with well-placed text that grabs my attention, then I'll stick around longer.

One thing that really annoys me (besides those obnoxious floating banner ads ) are pages that are slow to load & crank up my processor usage. I'll generally not wait around for it to finish loading.

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 04:27 PM   #7
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkman View Post
Perhaps layout & general look & feel would factor into it as well - when I come across a website, I generally size it up in a few seconds - if it's too "busy", hard on the eyes, difficult to follow, or generally poorly designed, I'll just move on. If it's a well designed page, with a pleasing format & color scheme, and with well-placed text that grabs my attention, then I'll stick around longer.
That's an excellent point, and it definitely figures into the equation.

David Jackson

Old 16th February 2009, 05:59 AM   #8
veronica

Good thread there, maybe when we take time to see things from visitors' perspective and then implement adjustments accordingly then we may see conversions.

veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2009, 06:56 AM   #9
copywriter

These days, especially with the US economy in the shape it's in, I am finding more and more people coming to me, looking for an increase in conversions. Maybe that means new copy, maybe it's help with poor design elements. Perhaps it's as simple as reworking their value statement and differentiating factors.

It seems to have gotten away from "I need better SEO" or "I need a better PPC landing page" and gone in the direction of "I need whatever it takes to convert visitors into customers." This is where people with a broad scope of vision will do well.

If you are a professional, don't limit your ideas/suggestions to just your particular area. If you notice other elements in your clients' sites that need attention, bring in a subcontractor or make a referral so that your clients can get all the help they need.

They'll respect you for your professional contributions to their project and for actually caring about their overall success.

Old 16th February 2009, 08:17 AM   #10
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica View Post
maybe when we take time to see things from visitors' perspective and then implement adjustments accordingly then we may see conversions.
True, but everything still needs to be properly presented.

David Jackson