Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd May 2011, 07:07 PM   #1
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com
Default W To Get A Review To Appear In Google Local Places

Hi,

How have you found the best way to get reviews to show up in Google Places? I created a video sharing my advice here on that subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBKO5a04MzM

Have you found any other ways to get a review to appear in Google Places? Any other online review websites that you know of that I can include in my next review. For example Google Places pulls reviews from CitySearch, InsiderPages.com (same), Yelp.com, JudysBook.com, DexKnows.com, Yahoo.com, AngiesList.com, ServiceMagic.com.... does anybody know of more?

Jeff

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 8th June 2011, 09:58 PM   #2
lw-daryljames

Great video. I especially like the idea of handing out flyers to solicit feedback and reviews from satisfied users. Thanks for sharing.

lw-daryljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 04:18 AM   #3
seo-guy

Here are some tips to increase your appearance in google local places.

1. Fill-out your Google-Local-Places directory profile fully. Do not leave any thing empty.

2. Provide your full contact addresses to help your customer contacting.

3. Select your keywords as much as they match your appearance.

4. Also upload at least 10 images.

Old 22nd July 2011, 09:08 AM   #4
Gary Barzel
VIP Contributor

Providing top quality products, as well as superb customer service will get you very dedicated customers. Build up a relationship with your customers, make their experience personal. Once you make this your priority, you will see the difference between a regular customer and a dedicated customer. Not only will this help you get numerous reviews from your customers just by asking them, it will also lead them to be the voice of your business to all of their friends and family.

Gary Barzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 12:02 AM   #5
dancorkill

Send a message via Skype™ to dancorkill

Yep ask for feedback from happy customers, offer them a bonus or something.

Fill out everything like stated above, make some videos upload those too. Link the youtube descriptions back to your web page for some extra links as well.

dancorkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2011, 02:52 AM   #6
Neil D

Quote:
Originally Posted by seo-guy View Post
Here are some tips to increase your appearance in google local places.

1. Fill-out your Google-Local-Places directory profile fully. Do not leave any thing empty.

2. Provide your full contact addresses to help your customer contacting.

3. Select your keywords as much as they match your appearance.

4. Also upload at least 10 images.
Hi, Seo Guy, does the upload of the 10 images have a big impact? Can you put alt text behind the images?

Old 16th September 2011, 03:28 AM   #7
dancorkill

Send a message via Skype™ to dancorkill

Yes images help alot.

Here is some more tips from a recent blog post we put up:

http://www.enchantcrm.com/google-places-optimization/

1. Fully complete the status bar of Google Places to 100%.

2. If your company name has keywords in it this will help greatly, don’t modify your company name though if it doesn’t have keywords in it naturally, it may work temporarily but Google may delist you.

3. On site optimisation – include your full address on every page of your website, I usually do it in the footer. Side note: If the goal of your website is to generate phone calls include your number prominently on every page also (amazes me how many people only have it on their contact page).

4. Select five categories that closely describe what your business is, not what it does (see below). Make sure the content on your site is related to these categories.

“Categories should say what your business is (e.g. Hospital), not on what it does (e.g. Vaccinations) or things it sells (e.g. Sony products or printer paper). This information can be added in your description or as custom attributes.”

This suggestion is straight from Google’s updated guidelines, although it’s suttle I think there is going to be a big update soon for people keyword stuffing the categories.

Do not repeat your business name, location or categories you choose in your description, this will also be interpreted as keyword stuffing.

5. Make your listing comprehensive, photo’s, video’s, payment methods, opening hours, parking etc all these are good things to have on your page.

7. Make sure your website and business is listed in as many quality directories as you can find. e.g. yelp.com, yellowpages.com, dmoz.org they all have free options. All the business details should be consistent on each website.

8. Encourage people that have done business with you to leave a review. You could make a link in your email footer when sending invoices or something similar. Every one of them does not need to be a glowing review (this will seem fake anyway). Instead focus on being the best you can and earning higher reviews. Another strategy is to offer an attractive bonus to everyone who leaves you a review.

Do not review your own business it’s likely Google tracks your IP address and will quickly work this out.

Old 22nd November 2011, 06:42 AM   #8
sbsl

yes...its good video .....thanks for Sharing..it helps me lot i have a website for business purpose and a blog......

sbsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 11:23 PM   #9
golocomktg01

Question

A good friend of mine added her site to Google Places unfortunately there is no postcard sent to her, is there away to get another postcard or does she need to sign up again?thanks

golocomktg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 06:43 AM   #10
BNB

Provide incentives to your customers to write reviews. Offer a 10% discount on their next purchase for reviewing you or a free gift.

I know of a company that offers $50 cash to their customers for a 2 paragraph review accompanied by before/after pictures - this wouldn't work on Google Places obviously, but you get the idea.

You can also try following up via email with customers 1 week after purchase, asking them to review their purchase and provide the link to your Google Places page.