Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th May 2009, 03:45 PM   #1
ChristineG

Send a message via Skype™ to ChristineG

Default How Often? What Day?

Hi everyone, I am sure this has been discussed in the past but I thought I'd start a fresh up-to-date discussion.

What day do you send your e-zine and how often? What's behind those decisions?

I send mine on Thurs. The only real reason is that an ezine I have always admired that has a ton of subscribers goes out on Thurs. Not a very scientific reason really, but oh well.

I also send mine once a week because my biz is newer and I really want to provide a lot of value and keep my biz top of mind for people. Plus others in similar businesses as me who I admire seem to send theirs 1x/week.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th May 2009, 08:14 AM   #2
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 4ndr3w

Wink Beware the Weekend Effect

Quote:
What day do you send your e-zine and how often? What's behind those decisions?
Stand by for a storm of answers based on anecdotal evidence and fuzzy recollection! Just bear in mind two things:

1: People usually don't make the decision whether to trash or read your e-mail on the same day they get your e-mail.

If your mail is solicited, wanted communication, chances are your mail will languish for a day or more in the inbox until they deal with all their work mail, or mail about something that has to be taken care of immediately. They most likely will not have time to deal with your mail right away, even if they may want to.

EDIT: This means that open rates or render rates rely much less on what day you send than one might assume.

(If your mail ISN'T solicited and wanted, then into the bit bucket widja, and good riddance.) (And I mean 'you', generally - not YOU, Christine - I am sure you are sending only to a closed-loop, opt-in list.)

2. Beware of the Weekend Effect! Regardless of your observed open rates, you should not be sending only Monday through Friday. It can actually hurt your deliverability rates over time if you are not also sending on the weekend. (This matters less for small volume senders.)

Why? Complicated, but bear with me. Even the best-run, cleanest lists still get a low level of spam complaints. It happens. Usually the recipient is just too lazy to unsubscribe, or they forget that they opted in, or whatever.

Remember from point one above that recipients are sometimes reading your e-mail on the weekends, even if they got it on Thursday. That means that the lazy ones are also complaining about spam on weekends.

But since you're not sending mail on weekends, the average rate of spam complaints on Saturday and Sunday as a percentage of all mail delivered to the inbox goes up, and that can hurt a sender's reputation.

Fortunately, big ISPs know all about the weekend effect, and MOST take it into account. Just make sure you are using best practices when sending to your closed-loop opt-in list to reduce spam complaints, no matter what their cause.

Now, with regard to frequency: Not everyone wants to hear from the same sender with the same frequency. It would be nice if more self-serve hosted e-mail applications would allow recipients to select frequency during the confirmation loop. If you find one at price you can manage, USE IT!

There are some senders who send to me once a week, and that's more than I really want to hear from them. They make my unsubscribe trigger finger itch like crazy (Jos. A Bank, I'm looking at you!).

There are other vendors who send only once every two months, but I actually would really like to hear more often from them. I wish Starbucks would send me a note any time a new free iTunes song card is available. I'd hop right on down to pick one up (and probably grab a latte while I am there).

Good luck!

Last edited by 4ndr3w; 6th May 2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: For added clarity
4ndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Samuel Craig

Your first responder gave you a warning about anecdotal evidence. So here goes... It depends

Example:
Dentists, B2B mailings yes, but the click throughs came hot and heavy after business hours and on the weekend. I guess they were busy with their hands in customer's mouths on monday and tuesday when most folks say the best b2b malings go out.

Example 2
sunday night, yes you risk getting lost in the monday morn mailbox clutter BUT you get better delivery than on monday morning itself.

Overall b2b is better mon-tues 11:00 to 1:00. But watch and adapt.

Samuel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 11:16 PM   #4
ChristineG

Send a message via Skype™ to ChristineG

Wow, thanks guys for the detailed responses!

Old 12th May 2009, 11:23 AM   #5
4ndr3w
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 4ndr3w

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineG View Post
Wow, thanks guys for the detailed responses!
Just this month some grad students at Northwestern developed some interesting bits of math to model e-mail user behavior and published it in an academic paper, titled Characterizing Individual Communication Patterns.

The model shows that e-mail users can be classified into one of two groups: "e-mail-aholics" who send and read e-mail during all waking hours, and those who just read and respond during business hours. Once people land in one of these two groups, they tend to stay there, according to the two-year study accompanying the model.

The lesson here, I think, is to find out which of your recipients fall into which segment, and send accordingly.

Good luck!

4ndr3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 05:03 PM   #6
AdHocsol

For email marketing i prefere send emails from monday to thursday for a simple reason...not a lot of people check their work email account during the weekend so friday emails could be found on monday together with a lot of spam; the same is for emails sent on saturday or sunday.

So, IMHO, thursday is a good day!

AdHocsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Denise

For one of my businesses, the audience is moms with small children. They're usually online late at night. When I send my newsletter out then, I usually get prompt responses from them. Things I send over the weekend, unless it's a Saturday morning, seem to get lost in the clutter.

Old 13th July 2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Mr Money Maker

Only on a Tuesday ,Wensday or Thrusday and within 5 to 6 days of Payday for everyone

Mr Money Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 07:54 AM   #9
jrobconsult

Lots of great answers, but I would think it depends primarily on your target audience. I would think Monday and Friday would be bad in many cases, since it is the beginning and end of the work week. However, I would suggest taking a survey of the people you currently send emails to for the best advice.

Old 24th July 2009, 06:31 PM   #10
trafficforless

I've always heard that you want to send it out on Tuesday or Thursday mornings. That way they're the first thing in their inbox.

Monday's not good because most people are catching up from the weekend and it will probably be overlooked. Friday is not good because everyone's rushing off for the weekend.

trafficforless is offline   Reply With Quote