Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2012, 08:50 PM   #1
EricB
VIP Contributor

Default Hand Written Letters

I recently attended a seminar where one of the speakers talked about how a hand written letter is extremely under rated. I run a website whose target audience includes, small business managers and their employees. I was thinking of trying out that advice and hand writing some letters and sending them to local businesses. Has anyone else had experience with this, good or bad? What are peoples opinions if they got a hand written letter, would you think it's cheap or nice to see someone took the time to hand write a letter?

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:20 PM   #2
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

I can't remember when is the last time I received a hand-written letter, especially if it is not a personal one. Hand-written letter does add a more personal touch, but it is just too inefficient to apply it to business. Ultimately, it is still the content of the letter that matters most.

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 01:29 AM   #3
hdm
VIP Contributor

Hello Eric and Dennis

I know from my own experience, it is almost impossible to throw away a handwritten letter without reading it first. It stands out over all other advertising that we are bombarded with.

Similarly, statistics have shown that a handwritten address will certainly capture attention and increase the chances of your envelope being opened. It will stand out in this digital age, simply because it is so rare and personal. This is most effective on a plain envelope, finished off with a postage stamp.

Physically handwriting every address and letter would be impractical on a large scale. However, we offer a handwritten direct mail service, using cursive "handwritten" digital fonts. You will see a few samples on this link

http://www.holborndirectmail.co.uk/u...irect-mail.php

Old 7th March 2012, 02:43 PM   #4
EricB
VIP Contributor

Thank you both for your input. It wouldn't be on a large scale right now. I was more thinking of just writing them as I could, a little at a time. It would be time consuming, but it might be a good use of my time since it's nearly free marketing.

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 03:52 PM   #5
blunderbuss

I think it depends, but...
I did see a Yahoo article that stated that one of the biggest mistakes many applicants on job interviews make is not sending a hand-written Thank You note after the interview... so it's seems to matter to a lot of people that do job interviews.

blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 11:50 PM   #6
tedlonnberg

Good Evening All,

I'm new to this forum, but considering the title of this thread, I thought it would be appropriate to introduce myself.

I specialize in “Real” Hand Addressed Direct Mail Solutions and my company has conducted numerous Case Studies that reveal more than 66% (on average) of digitally addressed direct mail gets thrown away and never opened, while “Real” Hand Addressed Direct Mail has proven to get opened and read nearly 100% of the time.

If interested, I would be happy to provide a summary of these Case Studies upon request, and can demonstrate how many of our clients have achieved as high as a 290% improved Return-On-Investment, after switching to “Real” Hand Addressed Direct Mail.

You may also benefit from knowing, that in addition to the availability of "Real" Hand Addressing, we can also provide live signatures, highlights, circles and any other type hand written personalization you can think of. We can also do this in both very large (5MM) and small (5M) quantities.

If anyone has questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Personally, I believe users of Direct Mail cannot afford to overlook the profit advantages of Hand Addressed Direct Mail and hope you find value in this post.

tedlonnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 12:21 AM   #7
hdm
VIP Contributor

Good to meet you here, Ted.

I read your post with interest, as it appears we are both aware of the power of a handwritten direct mailing. Where are you based?

Old 9th March 2012, 01:13 AM   #8
tedlonnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdm View Post
Good to meet you here, Ted.

I read your post with interest, as it appears we are both aware of the power of a handwritten direct mailing. Where are you based?
Thank you for the welcome, and pleasure to meet you! (name?) ! We are located in Huntington Beach, California.

tedlonnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 01:21 AM   #9
hdm
VIP Contributor

Thank you, Ted

I believe that the US is generally more aware of the benefits of handwritten direct mail, it seems to be much more popular there. We are promoting it in the UK, as I believe many businesses could reap the rewards.

Sally

Old 13th April 2012, 09:39 PM   #10
bizmaverick

Smile Handwritten Letter

Hi Eric!

Well, it basically depends on the kind of letter you are sending. I agree with the previous comment saying that there is a hint of personal touch on handwritten letters. However, this can be quite radical if you do not have a very neat handwriting. It might have been ages since you have received handwritten letters because of the convenient communication tools you can utilize today. This is a good idea if you are writing to your acquaintances but it can be a daring move when it comes to business. People who are dear to you will even be surprised if you send them handwritten letters instead of the usual instant message through your mobile phone or skype.

However, it is still interesting to give it a try given that there are some individuals who will actually give your letter a second look because of a neatly written content. You can seek help from companies who can provide you with excellent mailing services if you are not confident about the way your words look on paper. It will be great if you get to share the outcome with us.

bizmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote