Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th January 2013, 11:12 PM   #1
hubrisinabox

Default Psychology Of Copywriting

Hi Team,

I want to write a book on copywriting, but also using social psychology aspects, for example social proof and the way testimonials increase sales. NLP teachings like meta-programs and the way you can use pain and pleasure, convince vs. cost in your text the increase sales.
Subtle selling techniques you can use in your copy that doesn't come across as selling but increases conversion ten-fold.

I want to have an aspect like social proof, the history of it, what it means, how it influences people, and then an example of copy with it in it describing what it looks like so its very easy to translate it into your work.

I only ask here as I cant seem to find much that fits this description the only thing was an old out of production book called "Mind control Marketing" but it doesn't have examples of copy so it feels very abstract

Would this be something copywriters would be interested in, would you pay $25 for it?

Thank you for your time.

hubrisinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th January 2013, 12:54 PM   #2
clickfrank

From you said in the post, it sounds like Robert Cialdini's book Influence.

It tells how to influence people through different tactics and he includes numerous examples on each tactic.

You can of course apply this to copywriting. And not to mention the books by Claude Hopkins and David Ogilvy who mastered copywriting.

If it were me, I would not pay for $25 for a book unless the salespage is extraordinary.

There is a huge surge in eBook publishing because of Amazon in the recent years. A lot of books are going for $0.99 to $2.99.

With so many books on the market, even the good ones are not getting noticed without good marketing behind it.

As with anything, it all comes down to how you market your book.

I would check out Seth Godin's book All Marketers Are Liars. He talks about telling a story that already fits in what your customers' worldviews are.

Good luck.

clickfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2013, 06:32 AM   #3
squadron

Send a message via Skype™ to squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubrisinabox View Post
Hi Team,

-snip --

Would this be something copywriters would be interested in, would you pay $25 for it?

Thank you for your time.
Thank you for your question. I'd be happy to pay, lets say $9.99 (via Kindle for iPad), for examples of the best copywriting since 1999. And if you want to de-construct that writing with an analysis of social proof, so much the better

In my opinion, what people want is a bunch of templates, formulas and checklists. Fast start. Fail fast.

SHOW ME THE COPY (with apologies to Tom Cruise)

squadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 06:52 AM   #4
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Squadron,

People want information now. They don't want to read a bunch of books to find out what they need to know.

Old 19th February 2013, 07:02 AM   #5
copywriter

Carpetnj... interesting that you say that. I'm curious as to how people would get information now if not through reading books? What methods do you prefer to learn what you need to know right now?

Most webinars only last about 1 hour. While you can absolutely get a lot of training in 1 hour, it would not be nearly enough time to learn how to write copy. Plus, in most cases (depending on the length of the book, of course) you could read an book in an hour or less.

Do you learn mostly from other means besides books and webinars that are quicker?

Old 19th February 2013, 03:08 PM   #6
EricB
VIP Contributor

This is probably a stupid question, but was is copywriting in this context? Does is still involve safeguarding your work or am I way off? I guess I'm just confused on reading a book about how to copywrite.

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 03:18 PM   #7
copywriter

This is not about protecting your rights (copyRIGHTING).

This is about writing text (copy) for marketing/advertising (copyWRITING).

To file a copyright is to protect your work from misuse.

To write copy/learn copywriting is to create text.

A common mistake

Old 19th February 2013, 06:42 PM   #8
squadron

Send a message via Skype™ to squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetnj View Post
Squadron,

People want information now. They don't want to read a bunch of books to find out what they need to know.
I guess the books I read during 6 years of university were a waste of time

Old 20th February 2013, 09:45 AM   #9
carpetnj
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by squadron View Post
I guess the books I read during 6 years of university were a waste of time
They are not a waste of time. However if you want to market products today, they need to get to the point.

Many young people won't spend hours reading a book.

Old 20th February 2013, 09:58 AM   #10
copywriter

Understood. But that doesn't answer my question. If you aren't going to read a book, how do you prefer to get your information?

(It is a genuine question. I'm not being sarcastic.)