Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th August 2006, 08:37 PM   #21
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum, himagain!

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th August 2006, 07:47 PM   #22
A.N.Onym
VIP Contributor

Hello there, himagain.

Perhaps you could share some tips on offering articles to industry journals, like the one that picked you up?

I tried a couple of times but they thought the articles were self-promotional when I was simply explaining how website businesses can improve their businesses with their websites. Surely,that has to be the subject of my articles as it is the subject I am interested in and my company runs the services of. Oh well.

A.N.Onym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 08:18 PM   #23
mktgbiz

This is a grrrrrrreat topic!!

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 11:50 PM   #24
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

I would have to agree with you, Karon. In addition to publishing my articles on my own site (via a newsletter archive), I've had much success with article distribution. If you write helpful, quality pieces, places like this and other authority sites are very willing to re-publish them for you. Who could ask for better exposure than that?

Maybe I'm a geek but I am always thrilled when I discover that an article of mine--even one that I wrote months ago--has been published on an authority site and I didn't have to do a thing! I don't even distribute my articles to that many places anymore, just a few of the better quality sites and to some of my strategic alliances. It takes maybe an hour every two months. Big deal!

Of course, my byline is always included with a link back to my site. Good for rankings. Good for credibility. Good for business in general in my experience. My articles also provide my prospects with quick, concise answers to their most common questions about Internet marketing, copywriting, SEO, etc.

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2006, 10:24 AM   #25
cjcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by igarbani View Post
One of the sound advice I have heard to increase links pointing to my site is to write articles that are relevant to what my customers want/need.

So I wrote some articles... but now I'm unsure where to shop around to actually get them published! Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I run both article directory site (Articles Portfolio) and web directory site (Links Portfolio). You are always welcome submit to my directories.

cjcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 11:54 AM   #26
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Karri I think your strategy is exactly right. I've seen some of your articles so I know you start with quality content. And distributing through a few of the better sources makes a lot of sense. Like you said it doesn't take much time to submit each month and those few sources can lead to your article being published on some great sites.

Like everything else with SEO, quality is more important than quantity

Old 23rd October 2006, 05:53 PM   #27
aleish
VIP Contributor

submit your sites to article directories. Mot of the directories are for free.

aleish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:03 AM   #28
pammygb

Quick question, do you submit the same article more than once. Is it best practice to place the article on your own site, then submit it to article banks? Will this be seen as duplicate content?

pammygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 11:17 AM   #29
copywriter

Welcome PammyGB!

There is a LOT of misinformation about article distribution and duplicate content. Let me clarify. Submitting the same article to numerous directories is *not* considered duplicate content.

Duplicate content (as defined on Google's Webmaster Central blog) is something designed to counteract the malicious and manipulative attempts to trick the search engines.

I've emailed with Matt Cutts about article distribution and - while you'll want to take some precautions - you won't get penalized or filtered.

Here's the proof. Search for the title of any well-known article using Google. Put the title in quotes so you're pulling just that specific article. You'll see Google shows results for that article on hundreds and even thousands of web page. The same, exact article. It's not filtered or penalized.

Old 24th August 2009, 10:50 AM   #30
JustinMarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by copywriter View Post
Here's the proof. Search for the title of any well-known article using Google. Put the title in quotes so you're pulling just that specific article. You'll see Google shows results for that article on hundreds and even thousands of web page. The same, exact article. It's not filtered or penalized.
I have also seen this.

Have also seen article pages themselves achieve rankings although normally for phrases with fairly low competition.

JustinMarch is offline   Reply With Quote