Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th January 2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Default What Is The Maximum Size An Article Should Be?

Hola lovely people

Hope you are all having a good day?

I have an article that I want to submit to my two way radio website, talking about Codan radios, however, this article is 3093 words, the reason this is because the equipment is very complex and required so much detail to explain, should I try and split this article up into like 3 pages or something or is it OK to go ahead and add it all on the one page with images?

If I do split it up what is the best way to go ahead with this, this is new territory for me, I usually write 500 words per article but this particular one dragged on but unfortuately it needed to

Thanks for any advice

Greatly received

Simone aka Nutty

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th January 2009, 07:40 AM   #2
copywriter

It doesn't matter. You can do it either way. There is not right or wrong answer. People have different opinions as to whether they like the entire article on one page or on multiple pages.

My preference is to have it on the same page. I personally don't want to have to keep clicking. Others may prefer to click. Or you could offer both. Have the article on 3 pages and also offer a "printer friendly" version where the article is on the same page.

Old 28th January 2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Hola

Thanks for your reply, I had not thought of the "printer friendly" version, I will go with it all on one page, I prefer that anyway

Thanks again xx

Old 5th February 2009, 09:34 AM   #4
chuckmanley83

Certain subjects are going to need more explaining. I would try to make it succinct as possible, though.

chuckmanley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2009, 03:24 AM   #5
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

It depends on you and solely you. There is no hard and fast rule on the length of an article. However, it is not customary to submit too short or too big article because it distracts the attention of viewers.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Samuel Craig

Are you paying by the word?

if so then 500 to 750 to get the links in...

Otherwise. long is ok but the longer it is the less likely folks are to get to the bottom. So get your links in early enough.

Samuel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 03:33 PM   #7
Rachel Rofe

I like to make articles "useful but incomplete".... where they give away SOME great information, but make people want to go through and get more info.

If you have something that lengthy, I'd make an introductory "Don't Make These 7 Mistakes" type article, and then let people opt-in to your mailing list for the extensive report. This helps you build your list, you still get your opt-ins, and you're getting people more psychologically commited to your message.

Rachel Rofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 05:37 AM   #8
christysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
Hola lovely people

Hope you are all having a good day?

I have an article that I want to submit to my two way radio website, talking about Codan radios, however, this article is 3093 words, the reason this is because the equipment is very complex and required so much detail to explain, should I try and split this article up into like 3 pages or something or is it OK to go ahead and add it all on the one page with images?

If I do split it up what is the best way to go ahead with this, this is new territory for me, I usually write 500 words per article but this particular one dragged on but unfortuately it needed to

Thanks for any advice

Greatly received

Simone aka Nutty
You can go anyway, but I think splitting will be fine, as most of the web traffic just bounces back seeing such long content!

christysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2009, 07:16 AM   #9
Jacksonbaran

i think here is no hard and fast rule on the length of an article. its depends on your writing quality ... thanks

Jacksonbaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 07:42 AM   #10
copywriter

Hmmm... you're working with different article directories than I am then. Most of the time, I see requests for articles (not web copy, but articles) of 500 words. The maximum can be whatever the reproducing website allows.