Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Selling Ad Space
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th November 2006, 11:41 AM   #11
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Logan I do agree with you. And I know my guesses and assumptions are based on the sites I've seen which does limit my assumptions.

My own site is one that's naturally enough on a technical theme and for the most part tech savvy people click less on the ads than those not as savvy. For my site there will probably always be certain limits in how high I can work the CTR, but that doesn't mean I won't keep trying. I may not be able to get things to where the CTR is above 50%, but there's no reason not to keep trying to improve the rate and you never know.

Those high CTRs seem very high to me, but I agree that they are attainable for some sites. Maybe not all topics, but certainly some.

And I agree that it really comes down to not being able to saying things absolutely. There are enough variables involved.

Doubling traffic will most likely double your revenue, but so will doubling your CTR or doubling your CPC. I think in the end it's important to work on all the things under your control.

Hmm? Seems more like you're convincing me of your point of view than I am convincing you of mine. Though I don't think our views were all that far off to begin with.

Old 7th November 2006, 07:00 PM   #12
Logan
Administrator

Well, with your point we agree - so there isn't much convincing to do. Its natural and true that an increase in traffic increases earnings. But you are right regarding doubling revenue by doubling ctr or price per click. That's my point and I think most of the masses miss. While everyone is scurrying around trying to figure out ways to increase traffic and thus earnings, the solution might be right in front of them and directly within there control based on what is easy to manipulate and test. That's the key to me when it comes to increasing revenue by ad layout, etc. Its easy to manipulate and test yourself - plus immediate.

Regarding ad blindness and your target audience, yep - definitely another factor. I agree, certain target audiences have a lower propensity to click on adsense. Maybe not the right match for that audience, at the same time there is a flipside to every coin and I have seen a few topics where I don't think the visitors have a clue or care what adsense is or not. Just as some visitors may very familiar with adsense and have a lower propensity to click, there are many other audiences where the opposite does apply.

Old 8th November 2006, 12:04 PM   #13
vangogh
VIP Contributor

That's true about the audiences and the ad blindness. As you'd probably guess I do notice a higher CTR from people who find my site through MSN or Yahoo than who find it through Google.

I haven't had the time to be able to experiment more with all the variables I can change on the ads, but I do think it's possible to double or triple the CTR, even with the technical topic. I'll be working to increase traffic anyway, but I think it's always important to do what you can to maximize the traffic you already get. If I had a 0% CTR all the traffic in the world wouldn't make a difference.

I think the hardest part to improve is the CPC. Once you've chosen a topic you're locked into the ads relating to that topic. The CPC can still be improved though by finding niches within your topic that pay better and reducing the number of ads disaplyed.

Old 8th November 2006, 12:09 PM   #14
Logan
Administrator

true, i sometimes find it helpful to insert adlinks into a page - even if I don't run them always - just to see the various adlinks 'keywords' that are displayed and to explore further topics that could be more specfically targeted.

Old 24th December 2006, 12:28 AM   #15
Ibexy

This might be out of place but I am a beginner in the adsense business. I run a community forum site. I was confused if I can place both Google and Amazon adverts on the same site.

Ibexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 10:21 AM   #16
Logan
Administrator

Hi Ibexy, Google's terms state you cant run other contextual advertising. When in doubt, always best to drop them a contact via your account and ask about your specific scenario. It is okey to run Adsense and amazon affiliate links on the same page. Note, you mention site. With adsense it is actually page based. So you could have adsense on one page and another contextual program on another page. Just so they are not on the same page together.

Old 3rd December 2007, 09:02 PM   #17
didi07

i think , the first thing that we have to do is about content and keywords. then submt at mojor search engines, there too many ways to make a good traffic, legaly.

didi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 01:00 PM   #18
sharongillings

I would try some of the other networks like AdPepper, Viralytics Media, Tribal Fusion. Adsense doesn't offer the best means of monetizing your site. They used to be the best just because they could handle all of your junk traffic, but now all the networks can do that. Tribal, AdPepper and Viralytics offer pop-unders too, which really boosts your overall eCPMs.

sharongillings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 10:51 AM   #19
youbetcha1018

This is really very helpful. Thanks for posting some ideas guys.

youbetcha1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 05:06 PM   #20
lyrafire

Very helpful--as always. I've bookmarked it so I can refresh myself as necessary.

lyrafire is offline   Reply With Quote