Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th January 2008, 12:15 PM   #1
CustomRoses.com

Default Cooold Calling

Hey does anyone in here still cold call? Thoughts? tips?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th January 2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Its been a while, and most will probably tell you to spend your time on other marketing tactics, but I did find the book Cold Calling Techniques: (That Really Work!) helpful.

Old 6th January 2008, 08:11 AM   #3
mktgbiz

Not really a big fan of cold calling with to many people finding what they want on the Internet in today's world. In some cases it may be required, but other than that.............no tips really.

I kind of did cold calling a little while back, but my method was to walk into a business, leave a flyer on the counter, and turn around and leave. If the person on the other side of the counter greeted me, I replied, if not I was on to leave the next business my flyer.

It worked as good as cold alling without any talking.

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 02:16 PM   #4
MarketingMaven

Default I cold-email

I despise the telephone so my solution is to cold email. Since my target is broad (nearly any business can use marketing and public relations), I pick up local magazines and email companies who have used email addresses in their ad. I tell there where I saw their ad and ask them if they have a public relations plan for the next three months.

I'd probably get a higher return rate actually speaking to someone directly but for my purposes, this suits me fine.

Last edited by MarketingMaven; 20th January 2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling error!
MarketingMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Amir W.
VIP Contributor

Cold calling, or cold canvassing (in person) definitely works. Bottom line is - we all hate doing it, but probably nothing is more effective. (of course I'm sure there are exceptions) It works! Nothing beats good 'ol hunting. Sure, other types of marketing are important - direct mail, e-mail marketing, SEO, personal networking, etc.

I used to do a lot more of it, and as my business has grown, I've hired telemarketers to do it, and I still do a bit, concentrating my calls on trying to get bigger accounts.

I'd say commit to making a specific number of calls each day, and just do it. You will feel a great sense of accomplishment.

I happened to write an article on my blog about this very topic yesterday: http://blog.watt-media.com/2008/01/a...keep-your.html

Amir W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2008, 12:19 AM   #6
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

I agree with Amir. Cold calling is hands down the best in terms of ROI and close ratio (or conversion rate for you internet guys and gals). Cold calling depends upon the people to whom you are selling. I would never bang on doors selling my residential services. Commercial work, on the other hand, has to be done this way. Flyers, brochures, emails, faxes and websites don't cut it.

PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 02:28 PM   #7
2cents

There are benefits to cold calling. The most important is the most obvious: new business.

When you're out of work and out of connections, cold calling may be the only way left to stir up a job or a lead that can become business later on. And if it doesn't create work, than, at the very least, cold calling provides you with market intelligence on specific companies, market conditions, the economy, your bundle of services, or your pitch. With this information, you can readjust your business and marketing tactics.

cheers

2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 09:56 AM   #8
JackieHFS

Default cold calling

I have been out cold calling these past few weeks to sell our radio ads in RI, MA, NH, CT and FL. It's not my favorite part of sales by any means. However, to get the radio ad inventory sold, it brings me in touch with lots of groups. Many of our sales for our weather forecasts have been cold calling of late too.

Good luck on the Cold Calling.

Jackie

JackieHFS is offline   Reply With Quote