Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th May 2007, 06:23 PM   #1
bolt333

Default What Do You Know About NetEqualizer?

Has anyone here used it for bandwidth shaping?

bolt333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th May 2007, 09:46 AM   #2
deny

Did not try NetEqualizer but IPANEMA BOX works very well for bandwidth controlling, monitoring and maginig your own traffic.

deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 10:03 AM   #3
wally

Default Works well

We have four Netequalizers in our network and they've all worked great. We've had them for three years now and haven't had any problems. I think we'll be buying more in the next few months, so I obviously think they're a good investment -- especially for a small business or someone who doesn't want to spend a ton on a pricier option that does basically does the same thing.

wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 01:11 PM   #4
bolt333

Default thanks

Thanks, guys. I got sidetracked from this project for a while, but will definitely look into your suggestions. Thanks again.

bolt333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 01:42 PM   #5
wally

Default ....

Sure. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 29th May 2008, 06:41 AM   #6
Softix

I actually have a question . How necessary is the need to shape bandwidth for a small enterprise. I mean is it indispensible , say for a small enterprise with minimal traffic even? Just curious..

Softix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 09:47 AM   #7
wally

Default ...

Softix,

I tried to post a link to an article about the future of throttling and small businesses, but it never showed up. Anyway, some will say that throttling is a more affordable alternative than purchasing additional bandwidth. As you've probably seen in the news, ISPs have started to enforce bandwidth caps or metering, meaning that a business may end up paying extra if their alloted amount of bandwidth is exceeded. Of course, there are still ISPs out there that offer unlimited bandwidth and really mean it, but that number seems to be getting smaller.

Products like NetEqualizer allow companies to do more with the bandwidth they already have. It's more efficient, and instead of paying extra every month, managing existing bandwidth allows businesses to save in the long run.

So, there's no single answer to your question. It all depends on your specific company and your ISP. If you're having issues with congestion, then shaping may be a better alternative than upping your bandwidth. You could also just crack down on employees if you know they're streaming video or otherwise using a lot of bandwidth. On the other hand, if everything is going OK, then shaping probably isn't necessary.

I'll PM you the article I was trying to link to.