Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Small Business Finance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th June 2012, 06:15 PM   #1
TCCDepot

Default Why YOU Should Build Your Business Credit

Even though they’ve been in business for years, many people don’t realize that business credit even exists … what it is … and how to establish a business credit file. They may be wondering why, after so long in business already, should they begin building it now.

Here are a few questions those folks should ask themselves:

Have I ever been declined for a business loan or financing?
Could I use a business line of credit for working capital?
Do I need, now or in the foreseeable future, to lease equipment?
Am I currently stuck having to personally guarantee every loan?
Would I like to obtain easy, fast approvals on credit cards for my business?
Do I currently receive the most favorable credit terms from vendors?

There’s an unfortunate lack of useful information available on how to finance your business, especially when it comes to building business credit that will allow you to finance, operate and expand … without putting your personal finances, or your family’s very future, in jeopardy.

When you apply for credit for a business, most creditors will pull your business credit report. This credit might have been used for anything in your business … from credit cards … to loans … to equipment.

And what happens if they pull your business credit report and there’s nothing there? They’ll rely on your personal credit to guarantee your request. If there’s no business credit file, they’re not able to lend as much credit to your business. One of the main reasons you need a business credit report is the ability to receive more funding.

Here’s another reason that you need to build business credit: to save money! This is the most important reason. By building business credit you can save yourself and your business money.

Building a strong business credit rating is vitally important to your success. Without it, you’ll pay much more (in higher interest rates) for the money you borrow … if you can borrow at all. In fact, banks – which say they want to help small business owners – actually turn down over 97% of all business loan applications. They don’t make it easy!

Wells Fargo claims, “The longer you delay establishing business credit, the longer you delay taking advantage of business loans.”

How does this work? Here’s an example:

Let’s suppose that you need $50,000 for a piece of equipment for your business. Without a strong business credit rating, your bank will use your personal credit only. If you get approved, you’ll have in this example an interest rate of 18%. With a D&B report, you can lower your rate to perhaps 10% and you don’t have to guarantee the loan with your personal assets.

Here’s a quick comparison (sorry for the chart - best I could do on here):

---------------------------Personal Loan------Business Loan
----------------------------------------(with strong credit rating)
Least Amount--------------$50,000-----------$50,000
Interest Rate--------------18%---------------10%
Term of Lease-------------60 months---------60 months
Monthly Payment-----------$1,269.67---------$1,062.35
Total Payments------------$76,180.20---------$63,741.00
Total Savings------------------------------$12,439.20

By simply building business credit and setting up your business properly you can literally save yourself tens of thousands of dollars! When it comes to the bottom line, you have to be concerned as a business owner.

The truth is … you don’t really have a business credit rating until you start building one!

Last edited by TCCDepot; 12th June 2012 at 10:07 AM.
TCCDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th July 2012, 02:13 PM   #2
MakGlobal

Default Business Credit - like Transunion report? NO... D&B

It is important to note that business credit is not reported or monitored the same way personal credit is. If you are interested in taking out a business lease/loan/cash advance, you should ask your broker/funder if they report to DNB. Dunn & Bradstreet is the most popular option utilized by brokers/funders to check your business credit and pay history performance.

You can also contact DNB and ask them to include you in their records and provide them with information about your business so that you can become the "blip" on the proverbial map and continue growing and being visible to the business world.

Check out www.dandb.com and let me know if I can help further.

MakGlobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 06:21 PM   #3
websonalized

I am wondering if getting a credit card for my business will be difficult?

The reason I want to do this, is because I suspect that a CC is a way to begin building credit.

MakGlobal, I find your comment very helpful. I did not know that you could initiate the conversation with the business credit reporting agency.

Thank you

websonalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 09:01 PM   #4
HawaiiPhotos

Thank you so much for your valuable information. I am looking into business credit for my small business and only recently learned about it - again thanks so much for sharing!

HawaiiPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 12:55 AM   #5
Online CPA

Interesting as I have been wondering about this. So if my personal credit is not great and I establish great business credit, will they not even look at my personal credit.

Also, does it matter the type of business? Sole prop, LLC, Corporation? As some are considered separate from your personal dealings.

Online CPA is offline   Reply With Quote