Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st June 2013, 06:35 PM   #1
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Default A Better Way To Start Small Business – Consulting

Ask anyone who works for a small business and he will tell you he wants to run his own business some day. Many of them have a great idea – or think they have one – and only if they ventured on their own they could become a successful business person. Some of them also think they can do better job of running the business they work for than their current owner.

While the thought of starting and owning your own business is certainly admirable anyone who has tried to do it will tell you that it is not as easy as it sounds. As Chief Everything Officer you will be working on many different fronts at the same time and under tremendous pressure. There is no guarantee that you will eventually succeed after spending so much time, money and effort. So, is there any hope for someone who has the passion to start his own business, but is not sure how to go about it? I think so. Let me explain how.

Read more - http://www.smallbizviewpoints.com/20...ss-consulting/

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th June 2013, 03:12 AM   #2
BeBizsmart
VIP Contributor

Franchising?Unless you don't have a problem with capital or know where to source it from.Some of the established franchises are quite expensive to acquire.
Consulting may sound like an ideal career choice but it has its own downsides too.Chief among them,job security.Consultants can face an uncertain future at the end of one project if another project isn’t immediately available.Depending on the type of work you do,it may take weeks or months to locate new work. Developing a wide network of possible job contacts can help you find work quickly when one project ends.Budget cuts or other factors can result in non-renewal of your contract, even if the company had indicated earlier that they would like to continue the relationship.In fact,if company finances dictate that someone must be let go from a project,contractors will usually be the first to go.
Prophet of doom?It's just something that people need to know.

Old 10th June 2013, 09:38 PM   #3
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBizsmart View Post
Franchising?Unless you don't have a problem with capital or know where to source it from.Some of the established franchises are quite expensive to acquire.
Consulting may sound like an ideal career choice but it has its own downsides too.Chief among them,job security.Consultants can face an uncertain future at the end of one project if another project isn’t immediately available.Depending on the type of work you do,it may take weeks or months to locate new work. Developing a wide network of possible job contacts can help you find work quickly when one project ends.Budget cuts or other factors can result in non-renewal of your contract, even if the company had indicated earlier that they would like to continue the relationship.In fact,if company finances dictate that someone must be let go from a project,contractors will usually be the first to go.
Prophet of doom?It's just something that people need to know.
You are right. There are certainly downsides to consulting. The best option is if you can do it part-time while you are still employed full-time somewhere else. This way you can build your consulting business over time. It does need longer to build a consulting business, however once you have established reputation and credibility with few clients the word-of-mouth can bring you new clients with less effort.

Old 11th June 2013, 06:17 AM   #4
jasminelane

A lot of people have great business idea but only a few can see their idea turn into a successful reality. Entrepreneurs need to secure strong funding to back their business idea. Prospective investors have to be convinced to put their money on the implementation of the perceived ideas. The best way to attract investments into your idea is to put forth a well-researched and detailed business plan that can show financers an opportunity to maximize their returns from the investment. It may seem like a challenging and time-consuming task to prepare an error-free business plan but it is imperative in projecting the potential of business plan to convince them to invest in it.

jasminelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 08:22 PM   #5
fdemming

Send a message via Skype™ to fdemming

Great Article. Thanks a lot for the tip.

I agree with you, btw. Starting your own business isn't easy, but having gone through it myself, I can say that it is worth every penny and second that you spend on it when you succeed in obtaining what you were looking for when you started the business.

fdemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2013, 10:23 PM   #6
platnumcn

Great Article Angel. The only thing, where I feel we could do well about starting up a business, apart from investment and all, is having determination. It helps us in staying put, even if we are going through a drought in the beginning of our stint as a business owner.

Old 31st July 2013, 01:05 PM   #7
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by platnumcn View Post
Great Article Angel. The only thing, where I feel we could do well about starting up a business, apart from investment and all, is having determination. It helps us in staying put, even if we are going through a drought in the beginning of our stint as a business owner.
Agreed. Determination and perseverance are a must to succeed in small business.

Old 30th August 2013, 11:24 PM   #8
peachrose

I am in favor of franchising if you got enough money for this. But if you are just starting and limited funds, then you must contend with making your own, why not start a business that you familiar with and make feasibility studies and maybe a survey perhaps.

peachrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 07:15 AM   #9
PremOutshine

As we know that, Business consulting is provided to enhance and improve your company's business operations for more growth and productivity. Starting a business based on the passion and skills helps to keep engaged in the business, however people need to understand that running any business is more complex than starting it. Sometime, business consulting becomes the prominent feature and had worked in the history as well. Hence, no doubt..a better way to start a small business is consulting. Done in right way, you are at apex position.

Also, to know more about business consulting this might be helpful: http://www.ajoft.com/services/business-consulting/

PremOutshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2013, 01:29 AM   #10
leaseq

Great post. This adds more knowledge about starting a small business.