Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th September 2011, 02:53 PM   #1
websonalized

Default Critique My Latest Web Design

Hello,

please give me feedback about my latest web design. I designed and developed this website for a Spanish Speaking Motivator.

She indicated the colors that she wanted, and I came up with look and feel of site based on what I felt would reflect her personality and product.

Superacion Personal

It is my intention to develop cross browser compatible designs. So please, when you give me feedback include your operating system, browser, and browser edition. For example, firefox 3.6 etc. This will help me pin point what needs to be corrected.

thank you,

websonalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 20th September 2011, 12:49 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I think the colors are too bright/dayglow to focus on the content, but that's what happens when you let a client pick something

I'm using firefox 6.02 and there is too much spacing between [MOTIVACIEN] and [EN LINEA] at the top. This forces the [EN LINEA] part down so it almost crosses over into the menu navigation.

Check out BrowserCam (http://www.browsercam.com/) for a tool that can help you check compatibility. They have a free trial you can use to test your site.

Old 20th September 2011, 02:36 PM   #3
treelifedesigns

Send a message via Skype™ to treelifedesigns

I have to agree with the poster above. The background colors are so bright it is distracting to what a visitor will be looking for. I think you might be able to get away by taking the top lime green header offer its almost blinding. Besides that I think the flow of content works and you are on the right track.

treelifedesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 06:12 PM   #4
websonalized

Thank you guys, I'll continue to work on this and get back with an update of changes (including the top green band) at the end of week.

Struggling with varying standards of browsers ofcourse, I'll tell a detail story on update.

Happy week,

Old 23rd September 2011, 04:40 AM   #5
Pheno

You've mixed center aligned text with left aligned text which I don't think is a good idea.

Pheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:46 AM   #6
CodyLoco

This is totally a site that should have been built with Joomla

Overall I like the site - I don't think the colors are "wrong", but the blog articles part I think needs something to distinguish individual articles and make them more obvious that it's an actual post. Maybe consider placing a date marker to the left to break each article. For example, ignoring the colors if you look at the lightword theme for wordpress http://www.lightword-design.com/ you should see what I mean by the dates on the left.

Also - I like whitespace but I think the top-right whitespace is a little much and I think it would be better to have something more inviting there that would catch your eye - either a picture of her, or pull the bio box up into that area (maybe with bigger text?) or even a video introduction of hers?

As a visitor who knows nothing of the site - looking at that livestream freaks me out - I would suggest helping her with her video setup - she needs more even and warmer lighting in front of her - this could be as easy as taking a couple of lamps and pointing the flood at the back wall (behind the camera) or the ceiling with warm bulbs - those videos look hellishly ghostly and are not at all inviting :/ Nothing personal against her - just tears down any professionalism you've acquired by your site design :P

CodyLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 05:00 PM   #7
websonalized

Thank you for feedback Pheno,
RE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheno View Post
You've mixed center aligned text with left aligned text which I don't think is a good idea.
The blog entries, and articles that appear at the front page are entered by the website owner, the client. I have pointed out to her that centered text makes it difficult for users to read.

She is a good listener. So aside from the article that has centered text, all articles should be properly align.

Bests,

Last edited by websonalized; 23rd September 2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 23rd September 2011, 05:22 PM   #8
websonalized

Thank you for holistic feedback CodyLoco,

RE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyLoco View Post
the blog articles part I think needs something to distinguish individual articles and make them more obvious that it's an actual post. Maybe consider placing a date marker to the left to break each article.
I don't agree. I think that there articles featured int he front page do have various items that distinguish the differentiation of one article from another. I have attached a picture to point these out. STILL, i'd like to know why you felt these were not enough to signal a different and new article. SO I would value if you could elaborate more about your experience as a user.

As you can see in the image I have attached to this posting, each article has obviously a header with larger lettering and bold lettering. Below the header there is data regarding the article, the category to which the article belongs, the date in which it was made public, and the author. Then each block of article has icons for print and email the article. Lastly, each article has a link to "read more" with a different color (green). I feel this is enough to cue a reader that the next block of text is another article.

RE:
Quote:
Also - I like whitespace but I think the top-right whitespace is a little much and I think it would be better to have something more inviting there that would catch your eye - either a picture of her, or pull the bio box up into that area (maybe with bigger text?) or even a video introduction of hers?
Good point. I'll be adding a search box; but more importantly you have given me a good idea. I think instead of the picture of her an introduction video would be much more effective. Kudos on the idea!

RE:
Quote:
I would suggest helping her with her video setup - she needs more even and warmer lighting in front of her - this could be as easy as taking a couple of lamps and pointing the flood at the back wall (behind the camera) or the ceiling with warm bulbs - those videos look hellishly ghostly and are not at all inviting :/ Nothing personal against her - just tears down any professionalism you've acquired by your site design :P
je je je... I agree, and I value your honesty. You are right. We need to figure a way for her to be more appealing in the videos. We cannot choose where the video snap shot falls, but we can reduce the odds by setting up better lighting as you point out. And I'll prompt her to work on this.

Thank you very much for your dedicated review. You made me laugh too.

Happy weekend,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	items_that_defferentiate_a_new_article.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	132  
Old 24th September 2011, 06:09 AM   #9
kalyptra

hello, i think you are someone who knows what he is doing and i like the design. i just totally can't dig the colors. the combination just hurt my eyes.

lucky you can tone it down with gradient effect, but the lime green and vivid pink surrounding the page just totally is not good. however, if that what pleases the client, then what can i say.

if only i could understand spanish, i might forgive the colors and come back to browse the site again.

i love your whitespace. i am not into whitespace in the content area, but somehow, you manage to make it a part of the design. very very nice... just the upper right side space needs to be filled somehow, which most who replied here commented about in which you have replied to put some video of her.

i am using Opera and nothing is amiss with your design (except for the colors)

and yes, i think i know what CodyLoco mean by the articles. well, maybe because i don't understand spanish that is why it is hard for me to notice where one article ends and another follows. i also think it is because of the space which makes your font appear smaller and icons insignificant. however, if i know spanish, i might have noticed them right away.

her diary page might be nice, but because of the color (again) can't stand to browse it further.

kalyptra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 10:18 AM   #10
CodyLoco

Wink

I guess I didn't explain properly-

It wasn't so much that they don't differentiate between articles - it's that to me it's not immediately obvious that these are time-sensitive news pieces, if that makes any sense?

I know it's nitpicking - but it's an observation none-the-less. If you READ it - you will realize it's a news piece, but to me at first glance it appears to be a static website. One of the first things I try to look for when I see a site is a date or something that will show me the site is not outdated- there is nothing worse than reading an entire page about something only to find it was from 2003 and no longer applicable- if even at least those dates were more obvious, maybe by not burying them wrapped in text (the Category above, Creado to the left, Escrito part), the date may stand out.

Also, Septiembre doesn't have a P in it, Caos I think has a tilde on the A.

I've attached a screenshot for an idea-

I also much prefer sans serif fonts for text- that font leads to rough reading for me but that's personal :P

Also, the lime green bar at the top I agree is a little too bright and imo serves no purpose other than to push your content farther down the screen - maybe consider making it smaller? Look at your site in an 800x600 browser and you'll see what I mean - remember visitors are lazy and won't scroll if they don't see something worth scrolling to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by websonalized View Post
Thank you for holistic feedback CodyLoco,

RE: I don't agree. I think that there articles featured int he front page do have various items that distinguish the differentiation of one article from another. I have attached a picture to point these out. STILL, i'd like to know why you felt these were not enough to signal a different and new article. SO I would value if you could elaborate more about your experience as a user.

As you can see in the image I have attached to this posting, each article has obviously a header with larger lettering and bold lettering. Below the header there is data regarding the article, the category to which the article belongs, the date in which it was made public, and the author. Then each block of article has icons for print and email the article. Lastly, each article has a link to "read more" with a different color (green). I feel this is enough to cue a reader that the next block of text is another article.

RE: Good point. I'll be adding a search box; but more importantly you have given me a good idea. I think instead of the picture of her an introduction video would be much more effective. Kudos on the idea!

RE: je je je... I agree, and I value your honesty. You are right. We need to figure a way for her to be more appealing in the videos. We cannot choose where the video snap shot falls, but we can reduce the odds by setting up better lighting as you point out. And I'll prompt her to work on this.

Thank you very much for your dedicated review. You made me laugh too.

Happy weekend,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motivacion.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	133  

Last edited by CodyLoco; 24th September 2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Durrrr forgot to attach the screenie
CodyLoco is offline   Reply With Quote