Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Small Business Finance
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th September 2012, 10:12 AM   #1
nch1987

Default Help Me Decide: LLC Or Partnership

I'm starting a low profile, low key, 'lets-see-if-we-can-do-this' type photography business which will have 1 partner, who will invest as much time/money into the adventure as myself (Partner is my girlfriend). We do not plan to have employees, and any money made would go towards upgrading equipment/software and such as we both have full time jobs.

We probably won't make very much money, and its not really our goal, however we do want to protect ourselves, we do want to have a bank account, and we do want to "do it right" by being registered and having an EIN.

My question is: Which is a better option here for all around purposes- LLC or Partnership? As far as my personal research, all things point to LLC. I'd like for there to be a definite answer if possible, though I am realist and realize its unlikely, ha.

nch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 18th September 2012, 03:37 PM   #2
aim4u

yeah, that's what I went for with my business is an LLC and I like it just fine. I have a partner as well, and yeah just the tax flexibility of an LLC is what I really like about it, you can file as sole proprietor, s corporation, partnership, and I believe as a c corporation as well. Also there's alot less paperwork, all I did was articles of organization and got my EIN, then to the bank and that was all. Pretty easy, although in some states you need an operating agreement. You also have pass through taxation so you don't get taxed twice, so yeah I would go LLC IMHO. Hope this helps you some.

-Aim-

aim4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Michael321

Even I would suggest you for LLC but still you have to take some guidance by more persons if you are not satisfied yet, idea of LLC by me is because me and my friend started the same "let see if we can" whatever type of business with a low investment so we also and by some suggestions of my elders I also went for LLC.

Old 20th September 2012, 04:42 PM   #4
nch1987

thanks for your input(s). A little something is better than nothing! I was swaying toward LLC and two yes's may make it easier for me to jump.

Thanks Again,

NCH

nch1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 06:47 AM   #5
ArcSine

In terms of tax ramifications in a two-owner scenario, an LLC and a partnership are nearly identical.

Where the LLC has the advantage is in terms of liability protection. With a partnership, at least one of the partners must be a so-called "general" partner, who bears a certain level of risk for exposure to business liabilities and claims.

In an LLC, on the other hand, all partners enjoy a liability protection similar to that of shareholders in a corporation.

While it's technically true that formation of an LLC requires the filing of certain docs with the state, whereas a partnership can be formed by two partners merely on an oral agreement,
When a partnership is formed this way, it's a general partnership, and all partners are thus personally liable (potentially) for debts and obligations of the partnership;
If you want the partnership to grant limited liability to some of the partners, then documents have to be filed with the state to create a limited partnership;
Whether partnership or LLC, you do NOT want to go into business without a written agreement between the partners (called an operating agreement in the context of an LLC, and partnership agreement in a partnership situation).

These three points add up to zero advantage of a partnership over an LLC when it comes to documentation and paperwork.

Best of luck with the new venture!

Old 21st September 2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Michael321

You're so welcome dear. Best of luck to you