Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th January 2006, 01:42 PM   #1
Fiona

Smile Search Engines and Shopping Carts

Hello,

I have a small internet company and try to find a more search engine friendly shopping cart solution. I currently have an Oscommerce shopping cart. My website and shopping cart was programmed by a local web desinger. Currently, all educational and product information is part of the shopping cart. Problem is, the cart is not very search engine friendly as the text cannot be html coded. The URL's are endless long lacking keywords and there are no options to place keywords or meta tags.
I'm planning to change my shopping cart to a more search engine friendly system. I talked with several professionals on this subject but received rather confusing advise.
On expert told me that it is possible to have shopping carts that allow html coding, costumized url's, keywords, meta tags and so on just like with static pages. And I have found shopping carts who offer this feature.

Other experts tell me that this is not possible because every shopping card has dynamic pages and as a result they cannot be spidered by the search engines. If shopping cards are offered with html-features they just try to "mask" the carts with html codes but it doesn't actually make them more search engine friendly. Infact, some search engines already picked up on it and start to penalize websites with such features. They suggest to have instead link pages added to the current website to solve the problem with shopping carts.

I don't know what to believe and I'm trying to find out the facts to this subject before I make any decisions. I would appreciate to get input from some experts on this subject and hope to hear from you. Thank you in advance for your help.
Greetings,
Fiona

Last edited by Fiona; 19th January 2006 at 01:45 PM.
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd January 2006, 10:50 PM   #2
SoKyBiz
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to SoKyBiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona
Hello,

I have a small internet company and try to find a more search engine friendly shopping cart solution. I currently have an Oscommerce shopping cart. My website and shopping cart was programmed by a local web desinger. Currently, all educational and product information is part of the shopping cart. Problem is, the cart is not very search engine friendly as the text cannot be html coded. The URL's are endless long lacking keywords and there are no options to place keywords or meta tags.
I'm planning to change my shopping cart to a more search engine friendly system. I talked with several professionals on this subject but received rather confusing advise.
On expert told me that it is possible to have shopping carts that allow html coding, costumized url's, keywords, meta tags and so on just like with static pages. And I have found shopping carts who offer this feature.

Other experts tell me that this is not possible because every shopping card has dynamic pages and as a result they cannot be spidered by the search engines. If shopping cards are offered with html-features they just try to "mask" the carts with html codes but it doesn't actually make them more search engine friendly. Infact, some search engines already picked up on it and start to penalize websites with such features. They suggest to have instead link pages added to the current website to solve the problem with shopping carts.

I don't know what to believe and I'm trying to find out the facts to this subject before I make any decisions. I would appreciate to get input from some experts on this subject and hope to hear from you. Thank you in advance for your help.
Greetings,
Fiona
It is possible! Though, it is expensive. It's easier in PHP (As I understand) because the way it works on the server. I love PHP's ability to render pages based upon the URL.

IMO, you do have it figured out though. "Problem is, the cart is not very search engine friendly as the text cannot be html coded. The URL's are endless long lacking keywords and there are no options to place keywords or meta tags. I'm planning to change my shopping cart to a more search engine friendly system. I talked with several professionals on this subject but received rather confusing advise." Very wise indeed.

It is possible to find a PHP coder who will help, my suggestion is take one objective at a time. Take your list of wants, put them in order of importance and then ask the PHP expert to modify the cart to suit your needs.

My knowledge is in ASP (Microsoft), but I have a few "buddies" who would likely take a job like this if the budget is right. PM me if you want me to look into it. Price? Guestimate: 80 hours @ $150.00 per hour.

Old 23rd January 2006, 09:58 AM   #3
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

To note, there are great PHP programmers out there that work for $75 an hour...just depends on the area of the country that you are in.

Also not sure that you necessarily need a customized solution. There are some out of the box solutions out there that are somewhat search engine friendly. Here are the things that you'll want to look for...

1.) Control over the title tag of each page. It's not the end of the world if you can't get control over your meta description and keyword tags, but you HAVE to have control over your title tag.

2.) Reasonable number of parameters in the URL string. If you can keep it at 3 or less, you should be fine. The search engines are getting much better at handling parameters.

3.) The ability to create a link structure that allows a direct path to each page. The biggest problem with dynamic sites is that the pages often hide behind query strings. This means that you might have to run a search to get a page. A search engine can't actually fill out forms and hit enter... That means you need to be able to create a navigation structure that allows a search engine to click through to each page.

Those are really the three main issues with shopping carts...there are a few others, but that would be my primary concern.

A lot of programs like Miva Merchant or OS Commerce can be fiddled with in order to make them more search friendly, so it may be worth seeking out a programmer that can write some modules for an out of the box solution to make it more search friendly.