Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd February 2007, 12:19 PM   #1
amachs03

Question Keyword Ideas

I see a lot of people on here talking about keywords for adwords. I may think I have the best keywords, however, I may be wrong.Can someone give an example of a business and good keywords to use. Google also says to have around 20 keywords.....why wouldnt you want more?????I would think the more keywords the more of a chance you have to be seen.

One more thing....Do you want to use phrases or words?

ex. I sell triple scented candles. whould I use that one phrase or make it 2 words "triple scented" & "candles"?

amachs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd February 2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Karri

Search Engine Guide Blogger

What you want to do is create different keyword "groups" because you may find you can pull traffic with completely different phrases. i.e. not just "scented candles" (which is probably VERY competitive and thus expensive) but say "aromatherapy alternatives." Within each keyword group you'll have all the subtle variations of one or two important key phrases you're targeting.

Then, for each of those keyword groups, write 2-4 ads and test them against each other.

The more tightly grouped your keywords and phrases around your ad groups, generally the better. Just be sure both your text ads and your landing pages tie in with your keyword groups. That means use the keywords in the ads and optimize your landing pages for those words/phrases as well.

It's tough to give a crash course but that is the "gist" of it.

Other resources included Google's Keyword Tool and Wordtracker (about $8 for a day's access).

Perry Marshall also has a great eBook about Google AdWords for about fifty bucks. It's honestly worth every penny. Easy to read too.

Best of luck!

Karri

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 05:12 PM   #3
jvance
VIP Contributor

You can also try this free keyword tool to give you a better idea about what keywords to target. Just type in your seed phrase, like "scented candles", and see what comes up. You will get the top 100 phrases that have the words "scented candles" in them.

http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/search.html

As far as how many keywords you need...depending on your market, you may want to start with several thousand keywords, and then see which words bring targeted traffic without breaking the bank. Some of the more competitive industries could have 100,000+ different keywords you could play with.

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote