Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th May 2009, 11:20 PM   #1
funkynassau

Default Start At The Beginning

I'm new here but have had a small biz for over 14 yrs that is successful and now we are branching into an online extension of what we do. It has to do with automotive touchup paint.

We've got almost everything ready for our new biz, we have all of our supplies, the logo is done, the website is almost done.

I've been reading here about promoting one's online biz but I see plenty of terms I dont understand. How do I get started with understanding what is being talked about here? Is there a primer for the newbies to this site?

I believe we have a good idea, and feel confident it will work, but we need to make ourselves known online. What or where are the first steps for a person to take?

Thanks,
Funkynassau

funkynassau is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th May 2009, 01:37 PM   #2
phanio
VIP Contributor

Depending on how much of your time you want to spend on online marketing. This could be a full time job. I would suggest you hire a professional to get your website known and seen. This person could also answer many of your questions.

You state there ar terms you don't understand - what terms?

Old 20th May 2009, 09:11 AM   #3
funkynassau

I dont want a fulltime job marketing my site, tho I am very willing to put in some time each day. Our biz is an extension to what we already do, it is not meant to be our major source of income, tho maybe one day it could be.

I am in Ontario, Canada, and am not sure where to find someone to get our website out there, and I live in rural area just to make things a bit harder...!

I'd like to know what Squidoo is and what it does.

Is Google Profile an appropriate place to help get your name known or is it for individuals rather than businesses?

Is it worth advertising on Facebook?

Thanks,
Funkynassau

Old 21st May 2009, 08:54 AM   #4
FireFold-Jennie

You could hire a virtual assistant that you pay hourly and only the amount of time they spend online. I do a lot of the virtual marketing for FireFold and we have had a great success with it. Let me know if I can be of any assistance?

FireFold-Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 05:17 PM   #5
HomeComputerGam

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkynassau View Post
I dont want a fulltime job marketing my site, tho I am very willing to put in some time each day. Our biz is an extension to what we already do, it is not meant to be our major source of income, tho maybe one day it could be.

I am in Ontario, Canada, and am not sure where to find someone to get our website out there, and I live in rural area just to make things a bit harder...!

I'd like to know what Squidoo is and what it does.

Is Google Profile an appropriate place to help get your name known or is it for individuals rather than businesses?

Is it worth advertising on Facebook?

Thanks,
Funkynassau
Hiring a consultant for a few hours might help you out. They should be able to provide good answers to all of your questions if you do not have time to research.

I do know that the more online marketing you do for your site the better. Each entity might not make a big difference but when you combine them all they can add up.
The key to Google is "importance". How authoritative and important is your site for your niche? So by interacting with all of the sites you mentioned you are branding your site and building authority.

HomeComputerGam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 07:55 PM   #6
funkynassau

Thanks for the replies! Just reading the responses tells me I have a lot to learn. I like to do things for myself, but maybe this is different, as I am not sure where to start!

Funkynassau