Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th February 2008, 01:22 PM   #1
ASpaventa

Default Can You Use Too Many PR Networks?

Hi,

I'm trying to decide which PR networks to submit to. I've got a pretty good list of free and paid. My question really comes when choosing how many to submit to. Can there be PR distribution overkill/overlap?

I'm planning on using PRWeb for the paid distribution and PR Log, 24-7 Press Release, and/or PR Leap for the free. Of the free, I hope to choose 2 (?). But is that too many? Free being free, there's no monetary harm but I can see some decreasing SEO value from submitting a lot.

Any advice?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 11th February 2008, 09:23 PM   #2
SmallMerchant

Send a message via AIM to SmallMerchant

My main concern would be duplicate content. If you have a lot of republished stories all over the net, you may get penalized for the duplicate content.

In my personal experience I did not have much luck with PRweb. They did their job, they shot it out to a billion bloggers, local media, and whomever else... but what's the value in that? It depends on your business.

When I was growing an online business I saught the advice of a friend who is in PR. She told me to make personal contacts, that's it. Calling, mailing, whatever, you need to seek out individuals in the media to get them to write about you.

good luck! Nick

Old 12th February 2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Logan
Administrator

My experiences are similar to Nick's and I agree personal contacts are the way to go.

Andrea, I think communication is getting a little crossed over as there are probably two different considerations. One is the value of the press release and distribution of that to news agencies. The other is the value of the press release regarding your exposure in search engines. I personally don't have the same concerns regarding duplicate content, as this is something someone else could also send out without your knowledge it is unlikely the search engines are going to penalize you. At the same time, it might not help. I believe the benefit of press releases in regards to seo is based on where it gets picked up and featured on news websites versus the listing within a press release distribution network. If you are doing this for the link popularity, review the limits put in place by these distribution networks. Most news agencies are not going to allow link drops with in stories published.

Old 10th June 2008, 02:54 PM   #4
cpr
VIP Contributor

Logan is correct. The true value of a press release is in its ability to have your cause, event, product, service or company recognized and disseminated through media outlets. A press release is most effective at driving targeted, interested traffic to your Web site. It brings your company's information and Web site to a mass audience likely previously unfamiliar with your company before.

The process of using press releases as a means to create backlinks to your site, for SEO, is valuable, but creating releases just for backlinks will warrant similar results to including your Web site link in your forum signature. Valuable, but nothing to write home about.

Good luck with your future marketing efforts!