Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st March 2011, 07:36 PM   #1
DanielW

Default Rate Of Acquiring Back-links For New Website Owners/webmasters

Assuming that you know by now that back-links to your website are the most important off-page SEO factor, Id like to share some of my experiences with you. I have made many good moves, but have made some bad ones as well.
Lets start with a bad experience first (that way Ill appear to get smarter toward the end.but dont believe it).

Bad Experience
I recently added 60,000+ back-links to one of my websites in a period of about 2 months. The links were from websites that are ranked by Google from PR0 to PR5. The websites are well aged, indexed in Google and on different hosting servers. My website, before the addition of the new back-links, had 6 keyword terms ranked in the top 20 in Google. Two of the important (and very competitive) keyword phrases ranked number 4 on page one.

Now, after the addition of the many links, the two best keyword phrases are number 10 and the others have fallen into oblivion. It appears that I created a monster spam profile by adding links much too fast.

Good Experience
For another new website, Im being much more conservative in acquiring back-links. My new rules are:
1. No more than 150 new links per month, for any new website.
2. Never increase the monthly quantity by more than 15% over the previous month.
3. Be certain that the links are coming from the highest quality websites, ranked anywhere from PR0 to PR6.

This site is only 3 weeks old and is moving up in Google at a steady pace.

The Conclusion
Google, and the other search engines, want your rate of acquiring back-links to be natural. Anything other than a natural rate will get penalized (at the least, there will be no improvement). And, at this time, I can not say that there will come a time when Google will forgive me and award extra strength for those volumes of back-links.

Note: My new rules for acquiring back-links are the result of some research that I am doing with low ranking new websites, and much discussion with others who are doing SEO work.

Last edited by DanielW; 1st March 2011 at 07:41 PM.
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd March 2011, 03:29 PM   #2
tradeshowdesign

Default 60,000?

How did you ever manage to add 60,000 backlinks in such a short amount of time?

Old 2nd March 2011, 04:57 PM   #3
DanielW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradeshowdesign View Post
How did you ever manage to add 60,000 backlinks in such a short amount of time?
I have a private network of blogs (over 900) that I use for back-links in blog articles, and blog roll links. It was the blog roll links that swelled the number beyond reason. Each blog has 1000+ pages and, in a blog roll link, you get a link from every page in the blog.
I could easily have gotten more than 60,000.....as it turns out, I over did it with that amount. It looks like spamming to Google.

Last edited by DanielW; 2nd March 2011 at 05:00 PM.
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 12:12 PM   #4
DeniseTaylor
VIP Contributor

I don't know if I fully agree with this thread. Links are important, but it is risky to put so much weight into them. Doing so opens the door to abuses as evidenced by the countless websites recently hit by Google's Farmer update.

You spend all your time gathering links and those sites get hit by a shift, and BAM! you business goes right down the tubes with everyone else.

Besides, Google will catch on to linking schemes sooner than later. It's a dangerous strategy to put so much emphasis on links.

In the blog post regarding the Farmer update, Matt Cutts said the types of sites they want to provide rankings to are: "sites with original content and information such as research, in-depth reports, thoughtful analysis and so on.

There should be a balance between good, high-quality content and a solid, rational linking strategy. Good quality with attract links all on its own, which are the best kind to have.

I'm going out of my way to make sure this is said, because a lot of people have been negatively affected by excessive practices. It is risky and until you get hit and you lose all your rankings, you have no idea how painful it can be.

DeniseTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 03:31 PM   #5
lw-daryljames

The bottom line is that you will never fool Google. They are vigilant in their efforts to deliver top quality sites to consumers. If you spend the time working on linkbuilding (as PART of a complete SEO strategy), and add intelligent commentary on relevant sites, you'll gradually makes gains in your Google results.

lw-daryljames is offline   Reply With Quote