Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th May 2012, 04:07 AM   #1
sutisoft123

Default SEO For Multiple Product Pages

Hi,

I have a domain with 16products and URL structure for that pages are like

www.domain.com/product1
www.domain.com/product2
www.domain.com/product3........................

Now my question how to promote my sites using link building because if i do daily 40 submissions for each product(suppose i do for 3 products) then total submissions for the day will be 120.

I think this may become over promotion because indirectly we are promoting home page only.

Do you think this will penalize my site or shall i continue doing.

One more question is which format is better for domain i.e.,

www.domain.com/product1 (or) www.product1.com

Please let me know....

Thanking U in Advance......................

sutisoft123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th May 2012, 08:22 AM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

It's better to have a single domain with individual product pages than to place each product page on a separate domain. Easier administration.

From the way you word the question, it sounds as though you think "link building" and "directory submission" are the same thing. They are not.

There are very, very few directories that would be considered high enough quality to have any effect on Google rankings.

Submit to as many directories as you want, as often as you want. It will have pretty much zero effect on your search optimization. Nowadays, you have to work a lot harder than just filling out a few directory submission forms to get good links.

--Torka

Old 6th May 2012, 06:39 AM   #3
creativesnaps

Also be much easier to promote a signal site and have the ranking highly than lots of site lost in the rankings

creativesnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 10:57 PM   #4
sutisoft123

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
It's better to have a single domain with individual product pages than to place each product page on a separate domain. Easier administration.

From the way you word the question, it sounds as though you think "link building" and "directory submission" are the same thing. They are not.

There are very, very few directories that would be considered high enough quality to have any effect on Google rankings.

Submit to as many directories as you want, as often as you want. It will have pretty much zero effect on your search optimization. Nowadays, you have to work a lot harder than just filling out a few directory submission forms to get good links.

--Torka
What i mean is suppose if we do 40 submissions for each product and for 3 products total submissions will be 120 submissions.

120 submissions for 3 products but indirectly we are promoting the home page. So, whether google will consider it as over promotion or not.

Link building here means all the tasks such as Directory Submissions, Social Bookmarking, Classified Ads etc.,

sutisoft123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 01:30 AM   #5
rachelmorgan

Smile

I would like to suggest you to do every thing not only dir submission you need to do blog posting, guest blog posting, commenting, article posting, active presence on social media/networking sites, forum posting. But work on only relevant with good PR sites. No need to generate links blindly. I think you must do classified posting, upload your products images into sites like flicker and Picasa. Make a PPT for your product and distribute online

rachelmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 09:09 AM   #6
helan007

Default Thanks

Thank's to spend your time to share. This is what I (and others, I believe), really need. It's really very informative post. Please keep it up. Looking for more relevant post.

helan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 09:59 AM   #7
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutisoft123 View Post
What i mean is suppose if we do 40 submissions for each product and for 3 products total submissions will be 120 submissions.

120 submissions for 3 products but indirectly we are promoting the home page. So, whether google will consider it as over promotion or not.

Link building here means all the tasks such as Directory Submissions, Social Bookmarking, Classified Ads etc.,
You're going to have to do a LOT more than that before you even make it on to Google's radar, much less have to worry about "over promotion."

Honestly, you've barely even scratched the surface of what it takes to effectively market a web site. Anything you can do for free in less than 5 minutes of time isn't going to be all that effective.

Here's an old rule of thumb I've found to be 100% true, 100% of the time.

Quote:
There's fast. There's cheap. And there's good. The trouble is, you only get to choose two.
So far, everything you've mentioned doing is fast and cheap. Guess which one that leaves out?

--Torka

Old 8th May 2012, 03:53 AM   #8
Kevin H

Hi,

no-one knows for sure what level of link building may decide is 'bad' - so as such I don't worry about it.

However, just the fact that you thinking about building 120 links a day and you worry about it, this probably means you should worry about it. Chances are even you think the links you are getting could be of less than 'good' quality.

If I was getting 120 links of good quality a day to my site I wouldn't worry at all. So, the thing to do is not to think about the number of links but where they are coming from.

IF the links are from places that people would LIKELY (or even possibly) do business with you from then that's fine; if it's a link for links sake, that is bad.

So, for example:

1/ A link in a list of 1000 with ramdom topics: how likely is it that you will get business through it?

2/ A link from a blog, around your topic, with 1000s of readers a week/month who see a good report on your service/or a good product review: how likely?

For me:
120 links a day from 2/ - no problem.
120 links a day from 1/ - problem

I know these are possibilities are the extreme ends of the link building spectrum, but should give you some idea of what I believe you need to think about.

Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 02:22 PM   #9
donovanjames786
VIP Contributor

You should work on all the possible aspects of SEO and SMO. Link building is just a one thing to follow, not the only one. Start working on social media sites too. They effect seo a lot these days.