Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd April 2010, 08:19 AM   #21
delstu

Well Crimson Fox, I believe we could write entire books on this subject and still only scratch the surface a bit. It is difficult to give advice when the question is so vague as "I want to Start A Business But Don't Know Where To Start".

delstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th June 2010, 10:03 AM   #22
ABetterYouCoach

Thumbs up

I really enjoyed this thread, and what I liked most about it is that
the contributors weren't just automatically saying "sure, start your biz, it's
fun, it's easy, and you're an overnight success."

Obviously if people really want to start their own biz, and are
enthusiastic and committed and willing to do the work involved
(including studying, researching beforehand and learn as you go
once launched), that will take them far into somthing that could
be the most rewarding thing they've ever done in their life.

But reminding them to remove the rose-colored glasses,
that it's not always easy or fun or even successful
is great.

I see too many "get rich quick" start your own biz promotions
that don't talk at all about the real world concepts and
consequences of starting your own biz.

It definitely takes the heart of a lion and the persistence of
Edison ("I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT
make a light bulb") and the commitment of Gandhi to make
a biz work, and even then...it may not fly and you could lose
your pants (not to mention your house, your spouse and your
retirement.) A lot of us have spent many hours, months or even
years making less than a few cents per hour in order to
get a biz off the ground.

Thanks for bringing in the "reality check" for those newbies
that may not have considered the other "not so rose-colored"
side of things.

Starting your own biz is great...and I highly recommend it.
But it takes a particular kind of temperament, along with
commitment and drive to make it work, let alone enjoyable.

Let me know if I can be of help!
thanks again!!
Theresa

Old 7th March 2015, 10:28 AM   #23
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

Default Thread Revival

I'd like to bring some life back into this thread.
It's been several years since the last post.

With different perspectives from seasoned business owners, I believe many people (myself included) who read this thread have the same desire and question as the originator stated.

Since I am NOT even a business owner (yet), I'll post what I have learned so far. I'll do my best to sequence everything, but please DO correct me if you have a different opinion on something. I'll try to title relevant posts with phases, categories, etc. Please use the same titles in your replies to make it easier for everyone to relate the topics as they will change.

It may be a few days before I start (weekend work on my start-up project), so feel free to start if you'd like.

Dan

Last edited by DantheMan; 7th March 2015 at 10:31 AM.
DantheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2015, 10:52 AM   #24
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

Default Are they dreaming without experience?

The American Dream has evolved from owning a home to owning a business.
It's a global dream though, not only Americans have it. The following quote from post #1 is addressed below:

"I've been reading a lot lately that people want to start a business but don't know where to start. They don't know what sort of business to begin or even what industry. The don't have any experience, but they definitely have a desire to 'start a business of their own'."

This quotation reminds me of myself. It also proves they have more than desire, they have taken action. Seeking advice and knowledge is the first thing that should be done. There's one thing these wannabes like myself have in common with someone who already owns a business. Something mentioned in the quote that maybe wasn't exactly correct. EXPERIENCE !!!

Here's my point, does a baby or a toddler have enough experience to start a business? No! Does a twelve year old or a teenager? Yes, I've seen it! They're usually not the prodigies with two bachelor's degrees either. They're ordinary kids like yours and mine. Where's their industry or on the job experience? Are the people without a clue over qualified? I needed a laugh, but seriously they do have experience, at something. They'll need some help though, as did the kids.

They will definitely need a reality check. They probably THINK they want to start a business. They're probably not happy working 40 hours a week making everyone else rich. They might have a family and their current job requires them to work on the weekends or late some evenings. Those rose-colored glasses have to come off. They need to understand if they're not happy now, misery COULD be just around the corner.

A person's experiences are going to provide them with the best opportunities to help find what business is best for them. The quality and quantity of experiences related to the business will have an important role in determining the level of passion a business owner has.

My next post's topic...Passion and why it's needed for a business.

Dan

Last edited by DantheMan; 9th March 2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old 27th March 2015, 11:38 AM   #25
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

Default Find Your Passion

It's been a while since my last post to this thread, I haven't forgotten. It didn't entice any replies, I'll continue on though.

Wait a minute, I know you're thinking I didn't cover very much about experience and all the other good points in the original post. You're right, it was a great post. I also thought there were some great replies. I'll get back to experience later. First let's look at another quote from post #1 concerning passion:

"...and if you don't love (or at least enjoy) the business you're NEVER going to great at it."

Now what's more passionate than love? I can't come with anything. Can you be passionate (love or enjoy) something you've never experienced? I can't come up with any examples for that either.

The one word that really caught my attention was great. He's on to something here. It's possible you are great at something already. From good experiences, interest is built. The more interesting you find something, the more you want to learn about it or repeat the experience. It's addicting like love, and can develop into a passion or even an obsession. It's a cyclic thing. It feeds on itself, growing and improving without needing any help. It's contagious, others see it and want to participate, learn, improve and share the experience. Now it's become viral, an unstoppable epidemic. It is great. Before great comes good, we'll return to that later as well.

Find your passion. What are your hobbies and interests? If your at work day dreaming of doing something else, you may have a passion that. If you make a habit of reading about certain subjects, you have an interest in it. If you only think about a particular activity, you may be obsessed.

Make a list describing all of your hobbies, interests and activities. Rank your listed items of how naturally inclined you are. Which items do other people comment that you are good at? Which ones do others ask for your advice about? Which ones do you enjoy the most? Can you combine any of those interests?

Now you have to come up with a ideas to make a business of your passion. We won't go there today though. As the Crimson Fox eluded, I have higher priorities on my to-do list.

Old 27th March 2015, 05:18 PM   #26
Spider
VIP Contributor

I guess it's safe to say, there are as many different ways of starting a business as there are people who want to start a business. You have to admire the likes of Jason, who recommends - Start! Have a blast! Make some dough!

Frankly, I find no fault with that, even though I am of the "Prepare, Plan well, Think big" mindset. Each to their own - horses for courses, and all that!

I do think it is imperative, though, to determine where your particular style can take you. I mean, you could get a business off the ground using the 'Start! Have a blast! Make some dough!' method, but it is not likely you will make a million dollars with that approach. Not saying a million dollars is impossible from this method - in business, nothing is impossible - but one would be creating a great many of the hurdles one would encounter. For a small, fun, relatively low income, such a business style would be great. It could develop into a blockbuster, but to do that you'd have to revert to the "Prepare, Plan well, Think big" mindset somewhere along the line. (Think: Richard Branson, who started off selling pop music records to his student friends, then opened a records store - Virgin Records - later, Virgin-everything-else. Branson now own 400 companies under the Virgin name, including his latest, Virgin Air.)

It is not for us - and certainly not for me as a business coach - to tell anyone how to start their business. I have my ideas of what would most likely guarantee success, but maybe you don't want to be the next Sir Richard Branson and just want to Have a blast and Make some dough!

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 07:06 PM   #27
tuition

The new term for the small business is a "Lifestyle Business". Never meant to get a person rich, just enough income to be independent. I have met quite a few of these guys. They will turn on the biz afterburners to attain a goal but then back off afterwards. They don't want the grind of managing a huge biz.

tuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 08:28 PM   #28
Spider
VIP Contributor

I'm generally a little skeptical of the "Lifestyle Business" people. Sure, there will be some, but it's a hassle to start a business, set up operations, buy supplies, equipment, stuff, and sell what you're making, etc., etc. and fill out government forms and pay taxes. Why would one go through all that if it wasn't with the idea/hope that you would do better than 'just enough" income.

If "just enough" income was really the goal, they'd get a job - even a part-time job. No need to manage anything, then, grind or not.

No, I think, when you look behind the curtain, this Lifestyle business is morphed from a small business that went nowhere because the owner wasn't prepared to learn how to create the substantial, vibrant business they set out to create.

Still, if they would wallow in their (usually, quite meager) lifestyle and blame the world for their lack of progress, rather than do something about improving themselves, that's their choice. And they might be quite content with their deception, but, generally I don't buy it.

Not in every case, as I said, but in most, I am sure.

Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2015, 09:21 PM   #29
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider View Post
If "just enough" income was really the goal, they'd get a job - even a part-time job. No need to manage anything, then, grind or not.

No, I think, when you look behind the curtain, this Lifestyle business is morphed from a small business that went nowhere because the owner wasn't prepared to learn how to create the substantial, vibrant business they set out to create.
Exactly what I've seen to be the case many times. Notice I said many, not most. I know someone who actually downsized and basically believes this to be the reason. I don't buy it either. After watching that person in action, I came up with what I viewed as the real reason, micro-management. They want to be in total control of every aspect of the business. They can't grow or downsize because one person can't do everything. Content with total control and a decent income limits what they could be.

Old 27th March 2015, 10:03 PM   #30
tuition

Could be they want total control. I wouldn't doubt it. From the outside, they want the smaller business to afford them flexibility.

Right now a couple of them are in another country for a month. Doing some writing and still managing their biz. One of them went there right after completing a safari. it is interesting seeing the pics of his travels.

Maybe I should say that they are comfortably independent.

tuition is offline   Reply With Quote