Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you visit the links in the forum members' signature ?
Yes, I often visit the members' signature links 13 46.43%
No, I almost never visit the signature links 1 3.57%
I visit the signatures once or twice first time when I read a post from one member 4 14.29%
I visit the signature links only if the post is useful 8 28.57%
I visit the signature links only if the user ask for web site review 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th October 2006, 12:36 PM   #1
mbm

Default Signature Links

It is known recommendation to visit and post in the Internet forums for creating links to your web site using the member's signature.

One of the targets is the search engines.

The other target are the forum visitors. They might eventualy read the signature and follow the link.

The question is:

Do you read and visit the links in the forum members' signatures?

Old 24th October 2006, 12:56 PM   #2
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I absolutely visit the sites in signatures. But it depends on the person making the posts. If you post a lot of meaningless comments I'm not going to be all that interested in what you have to say on your site.

I may not click your link the first time you post either, but if you're here often enough and offer some intelligent conversation in threads I absolutely will become curious about you and click in time. Even when I don't always click I am aware of the links and over time do remember what many members here and at other forums do for business. If you sell 'widgets' and have shown yourself to be someone I respect or someone who writes quality posts when I'm looking to by some 'widgets' believe me your name will come to mind and I will look you up.

With search engines I don't think a very large weight will be given to forum signatures. With all the forums I post to I probably have a few thousand signature links pointing at my site. I doubt very much that all those links are seen equally. Search engines, at least Google, would prefer to see links coming from different sites. If you think of a link as a vote then it's sitewide links like forum signatures are kind of like trying to vote more than once. I do think more than one link from a site can be given significant weight, but with the ease of adding links through forum signatures I wouldn't count heavily on them giving big gains in search engines.

I still prefer to think of a link for the sake of the link itself. In that case it will mean that an actual person might click on the link and be interested in my site. If the search engines like it too that's just icing on the cake so to speak.

Last edited by vangogh; 7th November 2006 at 10:30 AM.
vangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 08:45 AM   #3
mbm

Hi Vangogh,

Actually I have the same opinion about the signature links and use them in quite the same way. Was wondering how is it with the other people and posted this survey to four forum boards. Strange that no big activity. Not many people responding. Is it because most people don't care about the signature in your post? May be they just look at the possibility to get the answer that they need and nothing else?

Something that I did not add as a possible answer, but actually I shall add it, is abot visiting the web sites in the signature of obviously low quality posts

Old 27th October 2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Ryechi

Send a message via ICQ to Ryechi

More often than not, especially for reviews, links and tips

Ryechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2006, 09:49 PM   #5
Lynn Quario

When I was just a forum lurker I clicked on many of the signature links when looking for information.

I am sure there are probably many other people who don't even post do the same thing.

Since I have started posting to the forums I have gotten many sign ups. As a matter of fact the forums are where the majority of my sign ups come from...

Lynn

Lynn Quario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 02:21 AM   #6
Kelvin
VIP Contributor

Default Signature Links

I invariably do. Why? At the very least, I get to know the "human voice" behind the website and perhaps in time, make friends with sites you like and respect. Often times, this can be more focused too, especially in particular topical sections that discusses relevant issues. I learned a fair bit from these activities!
The Engines? Sometimes, after reading so much this and that, you do not want to bother what they (the engines) think! Just my thoughts!

Kelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

I know I answered in the other forum but also to expand a bit more even. Usually I don't click on the links unless that member is established. If he / she has less then 50, (maybe even 100) posts, chances are very good that I won't ever see their site.

The main reason is spam - you never know who that person is but if they are established, chances are much less at that point their website is spam or full of potential viruses.

Old 14th November 2006, 06:52 AM   #8
mktgbiz

I frequently do because I feel it allows me to meet the forum contributor.

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 03:04 PM   #9
Ralph

I get curious about the individual who is posting or at least who and what they represent. Can help to fill in between the lines of what they are posting.

Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2006, 04:51 PM   #10
gitazz

I frequently do as like those said above it lets me get to know the person better and who knows an opportunity might arise for me to build a good relationship- do a JV

I belong to many forums and have made some great friends!

gitazz is offline   Reply With Quote