Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th January 2007, 08:04 PM   #1
mktstudent

Smile Avg. Joe Teach Avg. Joe

I have this radical idea. Imagine this family friendly place where you and your son can go together (although you can go alone if you cant). Let's name it mr. Average joe. It's a place where you can go to learn basic, interesting abilities, talents, etc. For example, let's say you want to learn how to build a club house for kid in the backyard. It just so happens that in Mr. Avg. Joe, some local avg. joe (maybe even named joe) is teaching the basics in building a stable, secure, simple clubhouse. You pay 5-10 bucks, spend about two hours there, have a good time while you're there (maybe even see some friends from town), and learn how to do a basic, interesting task. Or let's say you never learned to solve the rubik's cube. Next week, Mr. Avg. Joe is teaching how to solve the rubik's cube in 8 steps. you'll probably even take your kids to this one. It's an idea i'd love to make real but i don't know if it's realistically possibly. Any Comments? Please shoot.

mktstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 9th January 2007, 02:50 PM   #2
mktstudent

please leave comments, the point is to know what you guys think.

Old 9th January 2007, 03:36 PM   #3
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

We already have something like this in the master-planned community I live in. Average Joes who posses a special skill teach it to others within the community center. That can be martial arts, guitar, even swimming lessons. I would imagine many master-planned communities, Churches, clubs, etc. do the same type of things all over the world.

Old 9th January 2007, 05:43 PM   #4
mktstudent

Default thank you so much

i shouldve thought of that. but i guess thats what this site is for. thanks again.

Old 10th January 2007, 07:47 PM   #5
Your Brand

Common, don't give up so quickly! What can you do to make it unique in your community?

Your Brand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 07:51 PM   #6
Crimson Fox

Even the fact that you don't already have one in your area should be enough reason to give it a go.

Good Luck, sounds like a great idea to me.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

seems a bit too broad to me although maybe not a bad idea. I would work on developing and defining your business plan a bit more. Additionally, maybe if you are really good you could distribute info/howto to others who are interested and would pay a small price to do themselves.

Old 12th January 2007, 10:01 PM   #8
WebBizIdeas.com

Send a message via MSN to WebBizIdeas.com Send a message via Skype™ to WebBizIdeas.com
Lightbulb I like the idea - Think about this

Hello,

I like the idea a lot, it is actually an idea that we have talked about in my company, but an online version. I agree with 'Mr. Wallace' that many communities already have this but also agree with 'Your Brand' that you should not give up, you should make your idea unique.

I think there is a strong 'push' in the world to 'help things get better' in all aspects of life. I think the idea you described could be helpful in all neighborhoods, towns, cities, states, and countries. Why limit yourself to just one town...to just a few people helping others.

My suggestion would be to create an online video community that would attract both people who want to learn & those who want to teach. Build it with 'wiki' technology that would allow anyone to edit and obviously anyone to learn.

This is semi-already out there, howstuffworks.com, but if you could create a 'video' version + allow anyone to upload videos on 'how to build a tree house' it could expand exponentially and allow anyone to learn at anytime.

Wikipedia.com expanded so quickly not only because anyone in the world could edit it, but people are following this trend of 'helping people.' I think if you building your idea online could be reach a much larger audience and would be different & unique like 'Your Brand' said.

Jeff Foster

Old 13th January 2007, 02:20 AM   #9
mktstudent

thanks for the comments guys, theyve helped out a lot. and jeff, your idea seems really interesting. i definitely can see something like that working. thanks