Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th January 2007, 10:46 AM   #1
morgret

Default Page Rank Is Speedy Now.

Matt Cutts mentioned back on the 10th of January that some of the data associated with PR would be pushed every couple of days rather than every three to four months.

Yesterday afternoon, I checked the PR using a site that'll check a variety of data centers. Three of the sites I checked had a PR of 0 across all data centers. Last night, I noticed a toolbar ranking for one of these sites, and went back to the data center checker. The three sites each had a ranking in about eight of the datacenters..one a PR 3, one a PR 4, one a PR 5. This morning the PR 5 site is up to 19 of the data centers, and I would imagine the other sites are in a similar situation.

Anyone else notice anything yesterday with newish sites? Or did it just happen that three unrelated sites (a wordpress.com blog, a personal website, and a customer's site) suddenly got their PR wings on the same night? All of them were registered in fall, one has a bunch of backlinks, one has only 15 backlinks and has only had data for a couple of weeks now.

I checked the ranking on several other established sites I have been tracking, and about two sites out of twelve had a PR change, and those were just for an increase of one point -- none of this jump of 3-5 points.

morgret is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th January 2007, 12:46 PM   #2
SportsGuy
VIP Contributor

One of my sites seems to be waffling back and forth by a point the last few days. This morning at home it was a PR5, by the time I was at work, PR4.

It's been a steady PR4 for a long time now, but hey, I'll happily take the small jump to PR5 thanks.

One of my other sites has dropped one point, and the newer ones lack enough meat to be taken seriously yet - gimme a year or so on those...

Old 25th January 2007, 02:10 PM   #3
QwkSand
VIP Contributor

this is great news! I stil haven't gotten an increase in most of my sites but I'm glad that one of them has a pagerank of 3 now. and it's great, considering it's a new one made only late last year.

My Agent of Value: Outsource Link Building
QwkSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 02:46 PM   #4
SportsGuy
VIP Contributor

I think overall G has added some juice to their system recently.

I recently (last Friday) put a new news site live focused on a niche topic. I took the weekend to do my usual tweaks to the Wordpress platform, played with headers, templates and ad placements and colors. Over the weekend I signed up for a broad-match Alert from Google and started posting some press releases I have access to.

So, here we are literally less than one week into the project and Google has the site indexed and two current articles showing in the page list in it's index.

Simply amazing, IMO.

Especially when you consider the domain was dormant in my pool for the past year - not parked, just dormant...

Old 25th January 2007, 03:44 PM   #5
Logan
Administrator

I've launched a new site in the past two weeks, and its fully indexed by google as well. There were links in place, and obviously (at least based on my experiences) that is the prime variable in play.

Regarding the toolbar, I don't see it as something being updated more frequently although I do know google has recently been updating the toolbar display of pr. When they do this, depending on what datacenter you are viewing you may get the old or new pr score... but eventually all queries will sync as the new pr is propogated out. This green bar pr displayed in the toolbar is typically only updated by google everything few months, although actual pagerank is factored into previous to the display being updated. Thus, toolbar green bar PR being updated doesnt effect anyones rankings because actual pr is already factored into rankings.

Outside of that I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary or new, although I don't watch the toolbar much and more frequent updates will mean it will become more of a focus when actual pr is very different and the toolbar pr is a very poor indicator to watch for some of the above and also other reasons.