Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd January 2007, 08:07 AM   #1
SportsGuy
VIP Contributor

Default Moving Servers To New Country - Ranking Issues?

*I have posted this same thread in another forum (not at this site) where I gather trusted feedback. Since I trust the advice of many here, I felt it prudent to ask here as well as this is directly related to my daily business*

Alright - time for some feedback from this fine community on this point.

We are about to move our e-commerce "stuff" to our UK office.

Here's a baseline rundown of things:

1 - the servers are moving, so the content on them is going too - all of it - even the non-e-comm stuff for this site I'm told

2 - this site ranks well for competitive phrases in Google.com now

3 - it's a North American facing product and will remain so even after the move

4 - it's a .com and will remain so after the move

So, basically, my concern is that moving everything physically to the UK will affect our organic rankings in a negative way.

Our goal is to move all e-comm related functions to our UK office.

My personal concern is that any rankings we currently enjoy will be degraded by basing NA-facing content in the UK, and future efforts at optimization and rankings will be hurt because, again, it's located in the UK but targeting North Americans.

Help me understand the issues here gang and build my case internally - either way. If it's a non issue, great. If it will be an issue, I'm totally cool pulling the cord to brake the train, as it were...

SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd January 2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I'm reminded of the saying, if its not broken don't fix it

Country location of your hosting server does play a role with geo targeting (i.e. if your site is listed in .com vs .co.uk). While there are other factors as well, such as the domain name, content and links I believe ... I would change one of the known variables which conflicts with your target audience. That said, if the change is made you may be just fine ... but I would sleep as well at night as things do change and geo location has become important over the years and that may continue to change in that directions depending on what happens with local search and search development in general over the coming years. I wouldn't do it because of the 'potential' long term (think 10+ years) effects and the critical nature based on your target market.

Old 22nd January 2007, 09:31 AM   #3
SportsGuy
VIP Contributor

You brought up a good point - and one I should clarify:

We're not "geo-targeting" with this product, as such. We don't seek individuals by location, just individuals who want this product in NORTH AMERICA.

To me, that is not geo-targeting, but I might be splitting a hair there - not sure...

Perhaps my solution is to see if the e-comm components can reside in the UK, but the actual articles/content form the main site can remain here in North America?

See, if I could even see us moving the whole thing back in 2 -3 years, I wouldn't worry so much. BUT, so much can change in that time that a move like this could frag the viability of the site in the North American organic results.

I HATE "business reasons" for needing to make changes like this... I know why we're doing it, and as a (small) owner in the company I agree with the thinking, but as the guy charged with all things SEM, it poses problems for me...

SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2007, 10:48 PM   #4
incrediblehelp

Send a message via AIM to incrediblehelp Send a message via MSN to incrediblehelp Send a message via Yahoo to incrediblehelp

I have just seen to many websites hurt when this move is made. I always advise to clients to host in the country that is most important for them to rank on.

I think with enough backlinks from TLD domains of your targeted country it may not matter. But we are talking many, many backlinks for this not to matter.

I think this is especially important when targeting Uk or Canada.

incrediblehelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 08:24 AM   #5
SportsGuy
VIP Contributor

Well, according to yahoo, there are about 1500 inbound links (not that volume really counts for much in the search world these days). That's a result of the site being about 4 years old now, and was spun off a site that is now 12 years old.

Since the move is happening regardless, I'm in "mitigation" mode now...

Old 24th January 2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Hold your ....

Some times that's reality and why you get paid the big bucks to sweat it out while sleeping at night. Let us know how it goes, I'm sure it'll be helpful to understand better based on what does happen. I think you will be okay, but always best to take the option with the lowest possibility of causing problems with a businesses rankings (especially when they depend on 'em).